Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Anyone here use a DRAG SCOOP..?

pinenut

Hey folks, does anyone here like using a "drag scoop" in the dry sand? By drag, I mean the type you pull toward you and it supposedly digs in as you pull.
Wondering how well they scoop sand and targets compared to the common shovel type scoop. Can a drag type work well?

I would imagine drag scoops as you call them would work well for shallow targets. Anything deeper would require weight on the scoop. I have seen videos of guys swinging the scoop like a tomahawk to dig in out in front of them. The best scoop for dry sand in my opinion is a wire mesh scoop to allow the sand fall out without too much shaking. But the key is to find one that you can stand on without crushing. Grab handles are nice also. The less bending involved the better.

Works if you are only on the dry sand. Or if you are only digging very shallow targets. The wet sand can be a mix of shell and sand and difficult to break thru with a scoop that you can put your weight on.

I built one out of hardware cloth once on a heavy rake handle. Was about 30" across. Man, talk about hard work. I had to put considerable downward pressure on it or hold it at a steeper angle to get it to bite into the dry sand. And after that was accomplished by changing the handle angle, it was HARD HARD work pulling it thru even 2" of depth. At that point it became obvious to me that human power wasn't going to do what I wanted it to do and my time and energy would be better off spent with a detector in my hand.

Now if I could pull on with a 4wheeler or something + have a tractor style hitch that controlled the depth, that would be a winner.

edited fer spaillin

Thanks, folks. Here is a pic of the type scoop I'm asking about.. Only wondering about using it in dry sand, thinking they could be pretty quick at shallow target retrieval.
Looks like you would have to take a swing at the sand, then pull it toward you. Someone here must use one of these..(?)

ROBOCOP - sounds like a great idea for bait! Out here we have "sand crabs"; I imagine they're the same thing. The soft shell type are great for bait.

I did use one of them a long time ago. At some point you will be tempted to use your foot on it to get a slightly deeper target and you will break one of those little tack welds. The structural integrity will fail and it will be a piece of junk..

Those are probably useful for picking up visual trash on the surface like cigarette butts. Not really meant to be a digging tool, like for metal detecting.

The longer the handle is on a scoop the tougher it is on your elbows. Hold a 3lb weight out straight armed for a few minutes and the truth will reveal itself. Back in the very early 60's us 7 boys built a drag scoop 18" wide from a wheeled lawn feeder and wire.Long before these massive beach cleaners of today. Man alive it sure was work but got enough cash from silver/rings to buy a Tandy Craft Heathkit bfo kit and haven't looked back since as dozens and dozens of detectors since. John

Oh, I wouldn't call that a drag scoop; I'd just call it a cheap beach scoop (no offence; I have one in addition to my Stealth). They are made to be used like a normal scoop, but like ROBOCOP pointed out, they don't last too long without some user reinforcing welding.

This is what I thought meant by drag scoop:

post-364829-0-18509200-1453662287.jpg

If I told you how many gold chains and silver I found you would junk your high over priced detector. Most detectors will not pick up thin gold or silver chains. Yes I have an AT GOLD AND AN ATX FOR WATER HUNTING.
45YEARS DOING THIS ANY QUESTIONS. Just bend the prongs up a little and your set.

Now that is a true drag scoop. Made one 25/30 years ago very much like it. My oldest daughter got a outstanding mans gold chain with it.