Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Anyone here use a H.O.T Tesoro with a large DD?

The Magician

Can you disc out bottletops with it?

I'm curious because with my Golden, I can't discriminate out bottletops at all with my 11" DD round. I can with all my other coils. I like large DDs, I'm pushing my Golden to its limits with it and found deep coins last time round, before that a small silver. Deep coins have such a distinctive sound... I'm still recovering from digging. :smoke: Though I do need to be able to disc out bottletops as I want to look for shallow coins as well with the same types of coil. I've been thinking about getting a HOT detector for a while now with a big DD, still can't decide as the Outlaw is tempting.

The Magician said:
Can you disc out bottletops with it?

I'm curious because with my Golden, I can't discriminate out bottletops at all with my 11" DD round. I can with all my other coils. I like large DDs, I'm pushing my Golden to its limits with it and found deep coins last time round, before that a small silver. Deep coins have such a distinctive sound... I'm still recovering from digging. :smoke: Though I do need to be able to disc out bottletops as I want to look for shallow coins as well with the same types of coil. I've been thinking about getting a HOT detector for a while now with a big DD, still can't decide as the Outlaw is tempting.

I have a Vaquero with a 10X12 DD.

With the standard 9" coil I learned that bottle caps sounded different than coins, and most of them disced out just before top end on the disc every time.
Mount the DD coil and those high end caps don't disc out anymore, and they sound pretty much exactly like quarters to me...again.

So the answer to your question is mostly no.

Confirmed - I have a Cibola and a 12x10" and bottle caps in the first couple of inches sound off.

I have a 15x12" DD 5-pin coil that I use with a Silver umax and it also falses on shallow steel bottle caps. Target ID is said to be worse with a DD coil and this is probably a good example of it.

The Magician said:
Hmm... thanks guys. Rather disappointing, I can only use my big DD for deep stuff, though it's very good for that.

I have that big coil mounted most of the time and at sites that are wide open and large, or at places I know going really deep is what is needed I pull it out.

Last year in March I was at a pretty decent size park but I was working an area next to the parking lot with another detector with lots of trash and a few good targets.
Didn't find anything really great and I only had a 1/2 hour left so I switched to the Vaq and the big coil and went out into the large field area just moving pretty fast and swinging in huge arcs kinda wild-like.
You would have laughed if you would seen me, and would have thought I didn't know the first thing about hunting I was practically running and moving so fast.
I was hoping with the disc set at foil and the speed of the Vaq if I rolled over anything good I would hear at least a small and quick beep so I could stop and explore that signal more, and I was hoping for a "Hail Mary" great signal.
Not super trashy in this big area but I did find a couple of can slaw targets, maybe a tab or two and then I rolled over this target and even though I swept over it fast I still got a pretty good solid beep.
Thumbing the disc knob this target disced out at the top of the tab mark, actually just below 3:00 at zinc and I opened a small plug and sure enough at the bottom was a sitting a beaver tail tab.
Before I closed the hole I stuck my Propointer back in and got another solid signal about 1/2 inch into the sidewall mixed in with the grass roots and after a little digging I came out with this gold ring.

I doubt that without this big coil and the wide scanning field I would not have had a chance at finding this thing the way I was moving that day, and that coil is worth it to me and more just for the ability to do things like this.

Nice gold ring REVIER!:thumbup:

tabman

tabman said:
Nice gold ring REVIER!:thumbup:

tabman

Thanks!

My first gold ring of 2012, (finally!), 5.6 grams of 14k...size 8 woman's wedding band.
Paid for the DD coil and way more even at melt prices.