Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Anyone know about this... ?

parrott

I was at the Valley Prospectors Rendezvous at Jurupa Park in Riverside California. At the hunt I beeped what was said to be a 1/20 GRAM gold coin, about 8-grains.

On one side is what appears to be a standing liberty figure with the word LIBERTY above. On the other side is what appears to be a flying Eagle with the words UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

Could it be a "real" gold coin? I beeped it using my small 5-inch round and the Gold Bug Pro in tthe all metal mode. Sorry I Cannot post the Ilustration.

WOW. Can we see a pic?!

Here's a picture of a 1/10 OUNCE gold eagle, which sounds exactly what you described EXCEPT for the weight. Someone, I think, told you wrong about the weight. I know the size of a .05 (1/20) gram gold FLAKE, and it is TINY. Super thin (not "paper" thin, but close), and about the size of a handwritten letter "o". I am guessing your coin is larger than that!

Edit............

I'm guessing you may have found a small gold eagle coin. Can you post a pic, next to a U.S. dime, for comparison? A $5 Gold Eagle, which is the 1/10 oz. coin, is 5/8" in diameter, smaller than a dime.

Steve

sgoss... it is 10mm in diameter. supposedly 1/64 (or 1/60th) og a GRAM and weighs 8 grains.
flutted edge... under hand lens rather crude and fuzzy. Sorry I'm computer challenged....

Changing the subject s for Steve... goss for Goss. Steve Goss... Question are you square or a compass?

Pun intended... js... My best

parrott --

One gram is equal to about 15.4 grains, so if your coin weighs 8 grains, it is roughly 1/2 gram. And I would expect that a 10 mm (1 cm) diameter coin would weigh more than 1/2 gram, unless it was REALLY thin. I am unaware of any U.S. gold coins this small.

As for your pun...sorry -- I must be dense, but I didn't get it (square or compass?)

Steve

Steve... Yep, it is pretty thin. I have been informed it is an offbeat token... but genuine.

My pun... I was cryptic as there is a Steve Goss... He was involved with Compass
Detectors from the beginning to the end.. Thanks for your reply...:) You know your stuff... js

AHHH! Gotcha, parrott. Makes sense now. I didn't know there was a Steve Goss associated with Compass Detectors. Reminds me of a story...apparently there was another Steve Goss in our town, at one point, who was an insurance agent. I used to get calls from upset drivers who had had auto accidents, etc. asking me what they needed to do. I would just tell them "I'm sorry, I think you have the wrong Steve, I'm not the insurance agent!"

Anyway, if your token is genuine, and gold -- then it does have some value; about $28, at today's gold spot price, assuming it is indeed roughly 0.5 grams (8 grains).

Take care,

Steve

Steve... Small world for sure... The "Compass Detector Steve" was a repair technition when Compass went out of business. Steve countinued making the warranty repairs. Then started making a few detectors on special order... He did this for years, but it was a slow and downhill cottage-business as
the parts needed became expenesive and unavailable.. .

Gosh Bart... I just don't have the ability to send a photo. Question, as Fisher/Teknetics dealer, have
you used either the phase numbers or the bargraph readings as an aid/tool (?) in finding gold.