Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Anyone modified the shaft on the Explorer?

iwearpro

I was looking at getting several coils and am looking into cutting a groove in the upper shaft to allow the wire to go through and run the wire along the outside of the shaft like most other detectors.
The notch would be on the shaft where it slides into the body,just large enough to allow the wire to slide through.

Solve the problem another way, get yourself a Sun Ray probe. The switch box for the probe is on the upper shaft and you connect the coil switch box.

Neil

Now the other problem. I have heard good and bad things about the probe, so I am happy with my whites probe for now,it hasnt let me down yet.

I have one on my ExII and think it is great. How does the whites probe work? does it go through the machine like the sunray?

But as for modifying the shaft, why not do as Sunray have done, fir a box on the shaft, with a socket for the coil attached, then you only need to drill a small hole in the shaft to pass the cable through to connect to the control box.

Or rather than mod and weaken the shaft, try and take the cable directly out the control box on the outside instead of the inside of the shaft. Probably just a matter of opening up the box, and drilling a hole, obviously any warranty then probably void.

I drilled a hole in the Upper Shaft about the size to just get the Cord though and repainted it and it looked like it was always there. No problem with the Upper shaft becoming weak what so ever. Thats pretty hard steel.
Looks nice and neat.

I know it sounds kinds of rigged,but what I did was wrap a couple of rounds of tape around the shaft and then slide it back together and snap the lock down and you will notice it locking down nice and tight. I did this a while back and have never had another problem again....The tape acts as a shim.