Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Anyone out there "following the black sand?"

parrott

Using a VLF-type metal detector to seek out concentrations of black magnetic sand to nugget shoot for any associated placer gold?

yep with my Scorpion...

Alan... The Scorpion is well known amoung the old-timers as being a good "black-sand follower."
But it like other VLF/TR's needs to be offset...

moondog... True...the GMT has a follow the black sand ability. Back in the days of the BFO"s or a
Metal/Mineral TR the operators set the control on "mineral. Then they sought the areas with
what they considered having the highest black sand readings and pinpointed the spots to drywash.
However, while black sand readings don't promise gold, gold is often part of the heavy concentrates
setting out during the desert rainy season.

I belong to the GPAA and one of the claims I go to drywash at in the high desert is where my GMT really shines. I will pick my spot by watching for a high mineral reading, It's never let me down. A couple of weeks ago just as I was getting ready to dig I looked at the dirt and saw a flake, turned my head to the right and saw another one.I have a bucket of cons to process when I get some free time, I hope I did good. this hole was big so maybe some one was doing good. This is the second time I have found a flake just by looking at the dirt. I'll try to load a pic of the hole. My GMT gave a real high reading in the hole

Gosh moondog2000... By the size of the hole and the rounded rocks it sure looks like someone... you? ... are serious. Impressive!

I can't take all the credit, That hole was already there, I made it 1ft deeper plus I undermined it the lenght of a shovel all the way around. I did that with a 5ft steel bar. What was wierd was down towards the bottom of the hole I found old pieces of a plastic bucket. somebody has been there before. I worked the hole because I figured anybody digging a hole like that was on to something ,I hope.I still have my bucket of cons to process. I'll post the pics of gold if I get any. Mike

Well moondog2000... That hole sure looks familiar. What I mean is that is that... while I never seen
the hole I have seen ohers like it... maybe around the El Paso Range? Or maybe Rattlesnake
canyon... Not trying to find out where your hole is so do not tell... But you could find a thin layer
rich in placer gold... Thanks for sharing... js

Sounds like your talking about the randsburg area, If so we might be able to trade Info here. I took my wife to Randsburg last winter detecting but as new places go I don't have a clue yet where to concentrate my search area at and at 140 mi I don't have a lot of time to waste. This hole is near the barstow area .when I climbed into the hole I found 3 gold flakes reflecting in the sun. Time before last I was looking around with my GMT for a good spot to drywash and right in front of me was a big flake smiling at me.this does not mean a lot of gold all the time but I do get some gold all the time. Best thing about this place is its close to me, worst thing is a lot of yellow jackets and a female mountain lion someone has seen but thats what guns are for. I'm in So Cal , where are you located ? Mike

Gosh Mike... you are rght about about Randsburg. Placer gold was dscovered in the surrounding areas in the late 1890's and soon there were literally hundreds of short lived dryplacers througout the greater areas.

Placer was discoved in what is known as Randsburg and then just up the hill, hardrock was discoverd, Thus the Yellow Aster was found... However after the inital hard rock find the rich surface placers were still being processed by dry washing. Actually the town of Randsburg was built on what was once a early day short lived drywasher placer camp... js