Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Anyone purchase a newer f70 recently. Couple questions

Trailduster

My old f70 I bought about 4 years ago, maybe 5. So it's probably even a year or two older then that.

I just bought a new one second hand and have noticed a few differences. With the Chinese faking EVERYTHING. I'm a tiny bit concerned.

First. The machine runs as it should. Already tested it with the coils it came with as well as my NEL sharpshooter. No abnormalities. Spot on with a zinclon.

What is different that I have noticed at the moment.

1) The connectors have black shrink wrap on them. My old one did not.
2) The f75 emblem on the heal of the 11" DD coil is a raised oval. Like an applied decal. The old one was an F Wings that is screen printed. (for lack of better words)
3) the arm rest is different. Less squared, Secondary logo changed, Mount is different shape. Strap is shorter.
4) The color is a little brighter. The old one was muted/lighter gold
5) The screen looks 95% identical, but the settings words are a minute fraction thicker. The fonts are all the same though.
6) The speaker area looks different.
7) The Coil wires are glossy, not matte like the older ones.
8. The connection on the coil itself has less ribs than before as well.

The box did not have any Chinese writing at all and had Made in The USA emblems on it.
There are barcoded stickers on the machine that say El Paso, TX as well as the box

Just wondering if anyone can confirm any of those characteristics with a machine they bought new from a licenced dealer recently.

Please, no lectures. This wasn't an ebay deal. I bought it through a forum and I wasn't aware metal detectors were being counterfeited, so I didn't think to inquire. Both my previous detectors, and f2 and f70 were purchased the same way years ago.

As far as I know, the F-70 has not been ripped off by anybody. They did the T2 and the Gold Bug Pro, not the F70.

First Texas (Fisher) does lots of ongoing changes over the many-year production run of their detector models.

I guess that's the price we pay as being the unwanted step child of MD's :detecting:

I had read on a forum through google searching that someone saw counterfeit f2's. I figured if that were the case on such a cheaper machine, maybe f70's might not be safe, but I'm not finding much out there on fake f70's. So, I was just wondering if anyone could confirm the characteristics I mentioned above matched the newer models.

I really love this machine though. Truly a hidden gem at the price point. Just bought an NEL Thunder to pair up with it too, for large field working. Can't wait to give that a spin. The Sharpshooter has definitely found targets my stock DD did not find in my favorite places i revisit from time to time. So. I have high hopes for the Thunder.

I know that the earlier F70/F75 11" DD coils didn't have any external seam sealant around the heal cover but later ones did.
I added sealant to mine,

MarkCZ said:
I know that the earlier F70/F75 11" DD coils didn't have any external seam sealant around the heal cover but later ones did.
I added sealant to mine,

I can confirm that. The F5 I bought (brand new from an authorized dealer) had that epoxy coating on the 11 DD. The same coil came with a used F19 and it had no sealant or a very thin coat that seemed almost transparent just like in your pictures.

Mark, what is the make of the sealant you applied ? It looks just like the one applied to my F5's coil from the factory. Very well done.

dfmike said:
I can confirm that. The F5 I bought (brand new from an authorized dealer) had that epoxy coating on the 11 DD. The same coil came with a used F19 and it had no sealant or a very thin coat that seemed almost transparent just like in your pictures.

Mark, what is the make of the sealant you applied ? It looks just like the one applied to my F5's coil from the factory. Very well done.

What I used on that was clear epoxy. I found out that I could take something like a wooden match stick and and trim one end sort of like a paddle (tiny paddle) and dip it into the epoxy and spread it along the seam with the edge of the paddle dragging into the valley and let is set and it laid out really NICE!

I did the same thing with sealing the coil cover on my boxed coils. (they are to many gaps and corners in the coil covers of the open frame coils to do this)

I'd say that on short little seams the 5 minute epoxy would be find but longer seams you may need a little more time, so a slower set epoxy like 15 minute would be better.

Mark

Seems most, appear on EBay-you buy there make sure its with Paypal, and you get a satisfaction guarantee of money back.
....c.c. may or not-depends on card, but why take a chance?.
(I've seen everything there, faked-even a GP-5000 P.I. with TID????-and Chinese were doing the demo :lol: )

Fisher made some changes. from Jan. 2015 "QUALITY IMPROVEMENT! In a continued effort to improve the quality of our products, we have made some tooling changes to our 10” elliptical and 11”DD coil assemblies. A new assembly procedure improves the quality of the strain relief assembly." And on some coils "plastic will now be injected molded rather than vacuum formed."
http://www.fisherlab.com/hobby/news.htm