Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Anyone running one of the new round 7" DD MARS coils on their F75?

Mike Hillis

The MARS round 7" DD caught my attention when Daniel SR posted a picture of it. It looks like a nice intermediate size between the 5" and the stock 11" coil. When I did a little more digging it appears Mars is a pretty decent aftermarket coil mfg. So I decided to buy one and give it a go. Its my understanding they just got stateside so I'll order mine tomorrow after I get to the bank today and let you know what I think. I'm hoping it does well as the 5" is just a tad too small for me.

HH
Mike

I'm looking forward to your report on it. I have a Mars Tiger on my F19 and found lots of goodies with it. It's too big for really trashy areas. I was debating between the Sniper and this one which I believe is called the Lion.

Very interested in what you have to say about the Mars " DD. For coin shooting in trash, which I mostly do, I'm pretty sold on the Fisher 5", however. HH jim tn

IMO...the best coil in the First Texas lineup is the 7 inch round concentric that comes on the Fisher F11 and Teknetics Digitek. The drawback is that it has a "push-in" coil connection....so you need the adapter to convert to the screw-in connection found on the big-boy 7.7khz models.

I absolutely prefer it over the 5x10 DD as the "in-between" coil from the 5in DD (used for extreme trash or prospecting) and the 11DD (stock) and 8in round concentric (stock).

This one being a DD...I like it. Pretty sure I'm picking one up for my T2...just talking myself into it.

Order placed and tracking number received. Now I just need to wait for it.

HH
Mike

Yeah, I like that that little 7" concentric on the F11 too. I have one of those CORS adapters and I used it on the F44 and the 8500 both. A pretty solid coil. Be nice if Fisher was to optimize that one for the F75.

HH
Mike

I want to alert you to the cable. It´s not good to spin him around the pole. The detector reports weak false signals when the coil strikes.
Pulling the cable next to the rod is better.

Thanks Daniel. That is good advice. Also means the coil is sensitive :thumbup:

HH
Mike

yeah...the LION......hope it roars like a lion over deep targets.

I wonder why they would name a smaller size coil the LION?? :stars:

HH
Mike

(I wonder why they would name a smaller size coil the LION?? :stars:)

?? King of the Jungle,fierce , a big roar ????? LOL hahahahha who knows...

Kinda looks like a whites v3i coil .....the Fisher 5 inch DD is a lazer beam when using mono tone , but lacks ground coverage ......the 7-8 inch coils are the next thing....keep us updated, especially on pinpointing

Pretty fast shipping. I paid for it on Thursday and I had it Monday.

Very nice looking coil. Came with a coil cover and the hardware. Air tests great. Very sensitive. It gets a 1/2 inch on my micro jewelry test target, which is quite a feat for that size coil and operating frequency.

Unless it falls on its face on ground cancelling I can already tell its a winner.

HH
Mike

The 7” Lion DD came with a coil cover, mounting hardware and connection cover and it’s a very good looking coil. You can view it on their website.

It air tests about an inch to an inch and a quarter deeper than the 5x10” coil in Disc mode. In CL mode the 5x10 will hit a nickel out to about 15” and the Lion will hit it good out to 16” - 16 -1/2” It is also a very sensitive coil. I probably should redo that test with the nickel taped to ruler instead of my hand because I discovered when bench testing my micro jewelry test target that the Lion picks up my hand and even my fingers. It’s a very sensitivity coil. When I figured out what was going on I put my tiny 10k White Gold 3mm stud earring in a book for testing and it was hitting it almost as good as the little 3x6 concentric does, which is 100% better than the 5x10 DD.

Just a note for those that are not aware….Dave Johnson makes gold prospecting detectors and that is the basic DNA of the F75 and I have come to the conclusion that for pure hots in the 13 to 20 kHz range there is nothing hotter than the F75 LTD, my tiny little micro jewelry test target proves that conclusively in my opinion.

Back to the Lion. It is very sensitive yet stable.

My first use of the coil was in a very difficult location. This site is a soccer field built in an arroyo flood control area. It is a high EMI, high mineralization site. With the Lion mounted on the F75, in JE mode and 3 tone, it ground balanced neutral with the F75’s ground grab in the high 70s giving numbers of 79 and 78. The FE304 graph was mostly on 1 and .3 the majority of the time. As I moved infield it would drop to .3, as I moved back to the sidelines it would return to 1. The difference is the amount of dirt. More dirt in the infield, less dirt on the sidelines. Along with the mineralization there is lots of little iron and hot gravel under the sod. To make it even worse the city had recently aerated the field leaving little ground plugs that look like brown goose poop all over the place.

I once drove through a thunderstorm at night where the lighting was so intense that there was more light than dark for a good thirty minutes. It was like that detecting this field. The dark was the iron tone, the lighting was the high tone. The high tone falsing from the iron and gravel and little ground plugs was so great that any high conductive hunting was out of the question even though I persisted and was able to recover some clad, it was readily apparent I couldn’t keep that up. So I raised the disc to max, notched in high foil, nickel and square tab, put it in delta pitch audio and started listening for the lower tones amid all the high tone noise.

The coil didn’t false in the wet grass and didn’t suffer from any EMI with DST invoked, but the basic high sensitivity of the coil added to the ground noise of the high tone falsing. I didn’t like the way the coil profiled targets but that was more likely a setting issue as I had my all metal mode all jacked up on high gain for bench testing and I didn’t go back and reset. Just plain laziness on my part. I mean it pinpointed fine but the high sensitivity picked up a lot of ground noise along with the pre and post target response and you can’t profile a target at that high a setting.

Id numbers are pretty close to stock, some seem to vary a number or two but for the most part were pretty in tune.

The high ground minerals really constricted the coil footprint at depth. Lots of surface coverage but at depth it was a pretty narrow window which required some extra attention on coil overlap.
I dug some fairly deep targets for that site but nothing to brag about. To tell the truth I was just happy to bear with it for a couple hours. I didn’t find anything to write home about. Targets were the normal low conductive what nots, nickels, some zincs that were reading low, along with a bunch of can slaw and foil. Over all a very hard test for the coil.

I brought the 5x10 DD along but after the barrage I went through I didn’t have the mental stamina to put it on and compare on that visit.

I plan on returning there later in the month and do it all over again with both the 7” and the 5x10 and give it another go with more focus on overcoming the site conditions and proper setups.
I know not everyone has my ground conditions to deal with and this write up isn’t valid for anyone but myself. So next report will include some more neutral soil conditions.

This was mostly just a get acquainted hunt.

HH
Mike

I'm currently considering the 9.5 X 5.5" NEL Sharpshooter or 5" round coils for my Tek G2+. That 7" Lion coil may just be a great comprimise?

Thank you for that initial report Mike. I look forward to the comparison with the 5 X 10".