Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Anyone still using their XL Pro?

Scottowl

I had mine out on a ball field today. I was using a stock coil.
It was running great. It always does with new batteries.
Unfortunately no jewelry got in the way of the coil today.
I put in 2 hours, and came away with 1.50$ in clad.
I took a little break, and thought I could beat that total with the MXT, looking on the sideline areas among the trash.
So I cranked her up, and had the total beat within about 45 minutes.
Since I was trying to get a clad count fast, I skipped at least 5 zink signals of 55-70.
After getting to my goal, I got a 74 signal. I was in the habit of skipping zink today, but I do save copper cents, so I dug.
It turned up to be a small silver locket, about the diameter of a dime. It had a broken link, so I figured to look for the chain.
Within a 4" circle there was a 37, which was a pulltab, and a scratchy foil signal.
I figured that could be the chain, but it was a gold cross, with stones! It was similar size to the locket.
I was pretty jazzed, until I read the stamp. CZ .975. So, it's gold plated silver, with cubic zirconia.
I mention the signals because all 3 targets were 2", maybe even slightly less.

This raises some questions: Why did the silver cross ring in so low? Does the thin gold plating pull it down that far? There isn't much metal to it, but I would have expected a signal in the 20's, anyway. It was the last target dug, and no other masking was present.

More importantly, is the XL Pro out dated for the condition I hunt in? It is good out in the open, and it will tell you the shape of a target, very useful in can slaw. It will also tell you when you are dealing with small bits of foil far better than the MXT can do.
What conditions do you like your XL Pro, or any 6000 series models for? Do they get frequent use, or are there later makes and models you prefer?

I have a XL-PRO with the Tone MOD. Since as you say good in more open area's I found a Bigfoot coil for it and use it in big athletic fields hunting clad and jewelry. I have a lot of soccer fields close by so it fills a nitch. I just started this type of hunting last year as lost a lot of my older sites close by so thought I would try this type detecting for when time is short. The Tone Mod. Is 4 Tones. Quarters up is last Tone and foil/pull tab is second so I concentrate on those 2. No gold yet but a couple silver rings and a ton of Quarters. Still have many to hunt yet.

Nice results...i have a 5900 and i have to agree with you that it does a great job in can slaw with that crackled signal... for a single tone machine it will give you alot of signal info if you listen to the texture of the tone.... as far as the cross giving a lower than expected signal all i can say is crosses and those exaggerated square stud earings give a poor signal at best... for park hunting in trashy areas the 5.3 coil is a must to help with separation. .. as far as outdated technology i think the results speak for themselves. .. some technology does nothing more than prevent you from digging iffy signals...[attachment 331226 20151109_1621431.jpg]

Where did the gold targets hit at on the meter? That's the type of gold I'm looking for at Soccer fields. All found with the 5.3 coil? Thanks.

Your welcome harold.. This gold came from a drained swimming area... i have found a few gold pieces in parks ,mostly around basketball courts..its a tedious job working those places but sooner or later something good comes up... as far as meter readings most fall in the nickle range give or take but some barely move the meter at all and others are very low in the foil range... finding micro gold in grass could be almost impossible as alot of it will only read maybe 2 to 3 inches max away from the coil... some of the smal stuff has to be ever closer to even make a peep of a signal... sensetivity is major strength of the 5900 so long as you can get a good target under the coil... depth isnt to shabby either... in dry freshwater sand my 5900 has probably found more gold than my other units combined...even at 6.59hz it's still very sensetive to small gold...

Point well taken on preventing you from digging. It is amazing what is there if you just look.