Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Anyone use the RTG sco0p with the stainless lip?

ZOFCHAK

I currently have an 8" Sunspot and a 6" RTG aluminum scoop, and while I really like the Sunspot for sand and soft bottoms I sometimes have trouble using it in hard bottom/rocky areas. There are a number of places where I can't get the tip to bite, and with the wider edge on the RTG I can wiggle the edge down a bit easier. That being said, the aluminum edge is not holding up very well, so I was thinking of adding my own stainless edge or buying a new one with the edge from RTG.

Does anyone have a stainless edged (or full stainless) RTG scoop? How do they hold up to rock and are there any other good alternatives?

I have had one for a couple of years and only used it twice at the beach, but have been using it a lot lately around some freshwater beaches since I got a water detector.
The stainless lip is thick and looks very durable to me with all the rivots holding it in place.
I can't say for sure how it will hold up in rocky areas, but I'm sure it would do much better than aluminum.
Felix

I use the RTG type scoop but found the soft aluminum will bend from shells or any rocks. You can buy a scoop with the stainless tip for $10.00 plus the cost of the scoop. I made one using 22 gauge stainless steel and it will never bend. I cut the stainless on a shear and then nibble the edges to get it rounded. You will need to take it to a body shop or machine shop to get it rolled into shape. The tips from RTG are not as heavy gauge but are still better than the square aluminum tip.

Superb scoop no question about it for the water,
photobucket-1686-1330737162916.jpg

i purchased the Riellys mod. 709 all stainless 6'' scoop this spring and love it, the lake i hunt is very hard and rocky bottom. i have stood on the back, kicked it down between the rocks pryed quite hard on some rocks and it never failed. the cutting edge looks like new. im very happy with it

They work just fine at the beach however not so much in creeks where you encounter packed in river rock. There are many scoops out there for all occasions, the trick is to the one that works best for you.