Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Anyone using the TDI SL for nugget hunting

sweeper60

G'day folks, I was wondering if anyone is using the TDI SL for nugget hunting and what sort of depths are you find nuggets with them, also in the manual it says about changing the Timings up to 25us etc, along with the combination of the mode switch, because from what I gather for larger nuggets you have to switch to high and increase the soil Timing. But if you switch to ALL and you want to search for HI and Low conductive gold (Large and Small Nuggets), Because 10us is for small nuggets and 25us is for large nuggets, So from what I gather if you set it to the mid point Approximately 17.5 you are going to loose depth on both size Targets

Also how large is the smallest Nugget it can detect using Hi and around the 25us setting???

john

sweeper60 said:
G'day folks, I was wondering if anyone is using the TDI SL for nugget hunting and what sort of depths are you find nuggets with them, also in the manual it says about changing the Timings up to 25us etc, along with the combination of the mode switch, because from what I gather for larger nuggets you have to switch to high and increase the soil Timing. But if you switch to ALL and you want to search for HI and Low conductive gold (Large and Small Nuggets), Because 10us is for small nuggets and 25us is for large nuggets, So from what I gather if you set it to the mid point Approximately 17.5 you are going to loose depth on both size Targets

Also how large is the smallest Nugget it can detect using Hi and around the 25us setting???

john

I use it a lot for nugget hunting. I could write pages about it but will try to confine it to your questions.

First, do not mess with the pulse control. Always leave it at 10. Soil timings? Do you mean Ground Balance? Put the conductivity switch in ALL to ground balance. Depending on how mineralized your soil is, you may have to reduce the gain to get a smooth threshold.

Now, the conductivity switch is the key to larger or smaller nuggets. In ALL you will hear everything. Large nuggets will give a Low tone, small nuggets a High tone. The break point as to what is small or large is GENERALLY around 1/4 oz. So, in a relatively trash free area, hunt in ALL and you will hear all nuggets, as well as all trash.

That's it in a nutshell. Pretty simple really, for nugget hunting. Where it gets complicated is when you try to reject iron or identify targets. That's when you can get in trouble messing with the Pulse, GB, and Conductivity. The three are interconnected. Changing one affects the others. If you hunt at 25us, you will eliminate virtually all gold. Get some test targets and play with them at different settings.

Digger Bob

I use it a lot for nugget hunting. I could write pages about it but will try to confine it to your questions.

First, do not mess with the pulse control. Always leave it at 10. Soil timings? Do you mean Ground Balance? Put the conductivity switch in ALL to ground balance. Depending on how mineralized your soil is, you may have to reduce the gain to get a smooth threshold.

Now, the conductivity switch is the key to larger or smaller nuggets. In ALL you will hear everything. Large nuggets will give a Low tone, small nuggets a High tone. The break point as to what is small or large is GENERALLY around 1/4 oz. So, in a relatively trash free area, hunt in ALL and you will hear all nuggets, as well as all trash.

That's it in a nutshell. Pretty simple really, for nugget hunting. Where it gets complicated is when you try to reject iron or identify targets. That's when you can get in trouble messing with the Pulse, GB, and Conductivity. The three are interconnected. Changing one affects the others. If you hunt at 25us, you will eliminate virtually all gold. Get some test targets and play with them at different settings.

Digger Bob[/quote]

Thanks Bob for the Help, The book does not cover the IF side of things,

I don't like messing with the Pulse Delay and if I do I only do so when I am testing it on different items,

No I did not mean the GB as I know from yours and Jimmy's video's along with Reg's posts, that it can alter the point of (would be) Discrimination of sorts,

I was thinking that if you hunt in LOW then that would cause you to miss Larger Nuggets and Vice Versa, which I though was a bit Crazy and Because the manual says that the higher timings favour higher conductive items, that's why I was confused about Larger Gold because they say it has higher conductive Properties, When I Knew You Said in the Past about setting the Delay to 10us for Gold, So really in gold country where there has been very little human rubbish discarded there is no need to Alter the delay at all and Leave the Mode switch Set To ALL
Baring in mind that if you do alter the Delay that in its self will cause you to have to RE Ground Balance the Machine, Which in turn changes the Disc setting,

Bob what sort of depth have you found gold at with your SL, because there is not must out there about it as most use the TDI Pro, From what Testing I have done there are ways to unlock the Beast in the TDI SL, but that involves running the machine very hot,

Thanks again Bob,

john