Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

APEX noisey

Ga Rebel

II bought a Garret APEX when they came out. It has always chattered. Just holding it up in the air and shaking it will make it chatter. Is this normal? Coil connection is tight. Does the same with the new smaller coil. Update has been done.

Yup, if its chattering with coil moving on the ground or up in the air you’re probably close to electrical interference. Look for power boxes, electrical lines over head etc. You may just not be able to swing in that area

Sounds like bad coils to me if your connections are in fact tight. EMI is not present everywhere if it chatters everywhere. HH jim tn

To Ga Rebel, I bought my first Apex immediately upon their release, and shortly after I acquired a second Apex. And then, having three search coils other than the standard Viper coil, I bought my third Apex. Of the three, one of the first two was a bit noisy and I sent it to the factory for service, and it was corrected and returned to me working fine.

In early to mid March I acquired a fourth Apex and that one keeps the factory standard Viper coil mounted and I have it on-hand for friends and family as a loaner unit. It also functions fine.

As for raising the detector and coil in the air and shaking it around, yes it is not uncommon for that to create noise. It could be due to the shaking that involves loose wires, but it is mainly because the coil is held in the air where it is more susceptible to outside sources of EMI influence.

I've been using my number one Apex with Ripper coil and my number three Apex with a 5" NEL Double-D coil here in my yard the past month and a half. This is a half acre lot in the city and there are times when I will operate at full sensitivity with little or no chatter but most of the time it gets just a little noisy and I need to reduce the sensitivity two notches from Maximum. If you have the opportunity to try a different coil on your device that would let you know if it is a coil related or a coil connector related issue. Also, if you have reduced sensitivity a couple of notches and that does not resolve the problem then I agree that the Apex should be sent to the factory for service.

it's really a very good detector and you just need to get your noise issue resolved.

Monte

If you continue to have any problems with it call Garrett metal detectors and they will help you with any issues on your machine. Garrett metal detector customer service is the best I have ever come across. ;)

Mine was the same way. Garrett has a fix for it now. Basically a wave washer where cable connects to control housing. Helped somewhat but I now use a nel superfly coil and that helped some also.