Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

are certain frequencies really important?

I read in tesoros information booklet that frequency doesn't really matter, but from other companies I've read it does for finding certain things like gold. I think tesoros highest frequency offered is 17.5 or so for the LoboST. Another company has one at 70 for their gold unit . Who is right? Do higher frequencies have more issues with trash, while lower ones are more forgiving?

I have had many different metal detectors with different frequencies find gold jewelry. So I would be live as long as your not gold nugget hunting it should not really matter.........with that said a higher freq should find lower conductors a bit better,but not sure how much. The fisher 1287 water machine freq is around 3.5...very low,however it has found many gold rings. When it comes to trash I have never noticed a difference.

17.5 vs. 70, that is quite a jump in frequency and that might matter some. For the most part, most detectors seem to be 10Khz plus or minus 5Khz, and as stated above they all seem to find gold rings. I am sure some frequencies have slight advantages. As a general rule, lower freq for silver, higher freq for gold. As stated above though a 1287 running at 3khz still finds gold. LuckyLarry on the other big forum is the guy to ask. He has shown a chart with ideal freqs for different metals.

heavymetalbeeper said:
I read in tesoros information booklet that frequency doesn't really matter, but from other companies I've read it does for finding certain things like gold. I think tesoros highest frequency offered is 17.5 or so for the LoboST. Another company has one at 70 for their gold unit . Who is right? Do higher frequencies have more issues with trash, while lower ones are more forgiving?

When it comes to tiny nuggets I believe the specialty units that are usually pretty high in frequency will probably do better and especially in highly mineralized soil where they often can be found.
As far as gold rings and other jewelry that we look for in public sites like parks I don't think it makes much of a difference...especially if they are 6" or so or less which is where I have found 29 gold targets with 4 different detectors in 4.5 years of hunting.
Those detectors are a 5.9 kHz F2, a 12KHz Compadre, a 13KHz F70 and a 14.5KHz Vaquero.
More were found with the lowest frequency unit an F2 than the others.
When it comes to finding gold jewelry I believe it is more about picking good sites and learning how gold behaves so you can recognize and dig it than the frequency of the tool you are using.
Some very deep targets getting near to the 8-9-10" area and deeper frequency might come into play...maybe, but as I said everything I have found has been way less in depth so I don't worry about this frequency thing at all and I probably never will.
If there is a gold ring at just about any site I hunt I think I have a reasonably good chance to find it no matter what I happen to be standing behind at the time because I have spent a lot of quality time learning my lessons about gold behavior.