Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Are Racer coils submersible?

Furious T

There is waterproof, and there is submersible...we know now that they are waterproof, but are they submersible? Thanks.

Yes, all Racer coils are waterproof. You can use them in shallow water. Makro Detectors just addressed this question a few posts down. Also you can download the Racer manual to read. Pg. 23 mentions the coils being waterproof.

Jeff, Makro Detectors addressed the question as to whether they are waterproof, ie. can be used in light showers, wet grass etc. Submersible is different...submersible means using them in and under the surface of water, ie in creeks, rivers, lakes and oceans. Last century Minelab Sovereign users we caught out when they used their sovereigns in the water...even though the Sovereign was promoted as a beach machine and coils were "waterproof", when users took them into the water the coils eventually stopped working...they were not "submersible". So, evidently, in coilspeak, there is a difference between waterproof and submersible.

Wow, that's a pretty obscure distinction if the two terms are really intnded to have different meanings that way.

I would expect my coils that are sold as "waterproof" to be able to be used in the wet (damp grass, under a few
inches of water, or whatever) all day, every day, and continue to work. And I would expect this from Makro,
Nokta, Tesoro, Minelabs, Fisher, Garrett, or any other manufacturer.

How about it, Makro? Does "waterproof" really mean "don't use it too much under water" to you?

That's a great question Pete and one that I hope Makro answers/clears up. (waterproof & submersible)-----I know FT coils are supposed to be waterproof but they have had some leakage problems with their 11" bi-axial coils in the past.----I always thought "waterproof" meant you could safely use the coil in a few inches of water---but now I am wondering about the manufacturers definition of "waterproof".
Furious T said:
There is waterproof, and there is submersible...we know now that they are waterproof, but are they submersible? Thanks.

I'm pretty sure the 11" dd coil is supposed to be submersible, as it is a solid coil (with neutral bouyancy), but the 10" x 5" is much lighter, and, I suspect not filled with resin...i would like to know if it is also submersible.

TailTom, I agree with you, it is an obscure distrinction, but there are current detectors on the market where some of the coils are submersible, and some are not, they are just waterproof....I know this as I had to replace one of mine after I dunked it in a bucket of water to clean it. I knew it was not subjersible, but in a moment of madness, into the bucket it went with another coil, so it was my fault...the manufacturer did not claim it to be submersible, just waterproof...these detectors and coils are still on the market, so I am not talking about last century now. Just dont want to make the same mistake with my 10" x 5" Makro coil.

I use the 11" racer coil and have ran it in a foot of water detecting the edge of a few rivers. I have not had any problems so far. I would think waterproof would be submersible. GS

Del, one of the problems for us, the consumers, is that different manufacturers can interpret words to mean what they want them to mean, ie, to some, waterproof may mean submersible, to others, it may not. I would just like Makro/Nokta to clarify their position, and their meaning of the two words. It might save a lot of people wrecking their coils. So far, no response.

it is clear to me that the search coils are waterproof/submersible.

Monte

READ CAREFULLY BEFORE OPERATING THE DEVICE!
Do not immerse the device and its accessories (except for the search coil) in water or
keep them in excessively humid environments.

Pg. 23
All search coils of the RACER metal detector are waterproof. This provides convenient searching
in shallow water and on the beach. When searching around water, be careful not to get the
system box wet.

2) The search coil may give false signals when going into and coming out of the water so please
try to keep the coil either in or out of the water.

Furious T said:
Jeff, Makro Detectors addressed the question as to whether they are waterproof, ie. can be used in light showers, wet grass etc. Submersible is different...submersible means using them in and under the surface of water, ie in creeks, rivers, lakes and oceans. Last century Minelab Sovereign users we caught out when they used their sovereigns in the water...even though the Sovereign was promoted as a beach machine and coils were "waterproof", when users took them into the water the coils eventually stopped working...they were not "submersible". So, evidently, in coilspeak, there is a difference between waterproof and submersible.

The only minelab sov coil I ever saw not waterproof was the coinsearch models. Those were water resistant not water proof. I am referring only to coils made by minelab, some others were not waterproof also, such as the joey coils.
Waterproof should mean you can submerge the coil. How deep is another question, big difference between wading and diving.