Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Are the CZ21 coils pretty tough or do you need a coil cover for it......Thanks.....Tab..

To be honest, I don't use coil covers on the CZ coils. They fit too tight and it's more of a pain than it's worth. The coils are pretty darn tough. I still have the original coil of 17 years on my CZ6a. It started to chip away at a certain area and I just put a little epoxy over it ( not the entire bottom, but you can to that too).

The beaches I hunt are mostly sandy with not many rocks, so I can scrub the coil and it does not wear nearly as much as it would if the beach was rocky/shell ridden.

In my opinion, the coil covers for those coils are more of a hinderance than help.

One more thing.....new CZ coils are reasonably priced, so after a few years of use, if you need another one, it won't break the bank. And you can find some used with very little wear at better prices.

Inside the cover is my name and phone. IF they ever get stolen I have proof they are mine if they ever get sent into Fisher to be repaired.

Unlike some other manufacturers coils and 20 years experience with CZ's and various forums never hear of a CZ coil going bad...Heres a tip take the coil cover off clean it well and then put it on and silicone the edges several times to be sure no missed areas and voila you have a lifetime coil cover with the coil well protected...
I know many especially beach hunters with sand getting under the coil elect to hunt without one...as indeed a pain to remove even if you know the drill on how to take off with some patience..

I'm one of the ones Dan talks about who no longer uses coil covers. I have not seen much wear on the coils in the about two years since I stopped using the covers. If I do see some wear, I'll get some marine epoxy (non-conductive stuff) and give it a coating.

And while there is not a lot of weight in a coil cover, it sometimes doesn't take much weight to add to the fatigue over a long day.

Cheers,
tvr

Had a CZ-20 for years. The coil covers had to be practically broken to get them off so I stopped using one. Never had a problem, the coil is rugged. But I now have a CZ-21 and the coil cover looks to be redesigned. It goes on easy and comes off easy.

Indeed for several years a lightweight coil cover has been around and goes off and on easily. Very thin and doubt if it adds much protection but again the original is a bear to take off and can see why guys used alternate methods to protect or don't use a cover at all...Unless you hunt rocky areas just can't see wearing a hole in the CZ coils..

The spider coils on units like the CZ or not a boxed design! they are resin filled (not hollow) the filled design was to reduce the tendency to float when using them in shallow water. So the bottoms of these are SOLID! and not likely to wear through, like the older plastic boxed coils.

But, installing a coil cover and taking really good care of the unit does increase the resale value of ANY detector.

Mark