Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Are there any rechargable batteries out there that will give a longer hunt time on the HHPI compared to using two regular 9 volts.......HH...Tab.

There are no rechargeable 9 volt battery chemistries that come anywhere close to a good alkaline on battery life. There are primary lithiums that last even longer than a good alkaline but when they're dead, they're dead.

NiMH 9 volt rechargeables continue to improve, the best ones being in the 250 mA-H or so range. Expect maybe half the life of a good quality alkaline. But of course then you can recharge them.

Be aware that with NiMH rechargeables, when they die, they give no warning. One minute you're fine and the next minute, deadbone. Carry spares.

--Dave J.

280 mAh NiMH's are now widely available if you don't want to go to the expence of getting a special charger.

or you could look at the latest Lithium Ion 9v's from Marsell (350 mAh) or Hi Tech (600 mAh) that require a Li-ion charger. Charge time is about 2 hours. Marsell also do Li-on's that can't be charged so make certain you specify that you want rechargables.

I just started using the HITECH Lithium- Ion rechargeables in my HHPI. They fit in the ear cap.
They are advertised as the same size as the Alkaline batteries.
(I believe it is the Nickel-Zinc rechargeable batteries that are slightly oversized and do not fit.
I've seen in ads for the Nickel-Zincs where they warn you about this.)
The HITECH Lithium - Ions are rated at 600 mah. I think the best Energizer alkalines are rated at 650 mah.
I bought them thru Horizon battery ( see their site). The charger and 2 batteries is $55. Free shipping on orders
over $75 so I ordered 2 more batteries. For $80 I hope I'm set. These batteries are used by Cirque Soleil and the Blue Man Group
in their open mic systems and give them 12-14 hours. Good for 500 recycles per battery.
I'm using a meter on them to track the voltage drop to get a feel for rate of drain.
I also put a little piece of double back tape on them to hold them in place while I struggle with the ear cap.
I'll update as I get smarter.

I have a little more info on the lithium ion batteries.
When I recharge them they go to 8.25 volts. They were advertised to go to 95% on a recharge which I expected would be 95% of 9 volts or 8.55 volts.
When I run them for 4 hours the batteries drain to 7.82 volts or about one tenth of a volt per hour (from 8.25 to 7.82).
I just swap the batteries at 4 hours because I have 2 pair of batteries. I have never noticed a deterioration of performance using this method.
If I was real curious I could run them to full discharge but I'm just trying to avoid buying a lot of alkalines at $12 a pair.
The lithium ions are rated at 600 mah. I think the best Energizer alkalines are rated 650 mah.
If I can get the 500 recharges as advertised per battery I should be ahead in the long run.
Has anyone run the alkalines for a 4 hour period and then put a meter on them?
I might try that some day just to see their rate of discharge.

I got this response from the Horizon Battery company after I completed a survey on their Lithium Ion batteries.

Glad the batteries work well in your metal detector. As to the voltage differences, please be advised that lithium ion chemistry will yield about 8.2 to 8.4 nominal volts. The nature of the chemistry does not allow for charging up to 9 volts. However, as you stated, the voltage is definitely high enough to run your metal detector without any problems. What you will find is that the battery will actually outlast an alkaline throw-away in run-time, plus you have the benefit of recharging the battery several hundred times.

I told them I was only getting to 8.25 volts after a recharge.

I'm still happy with their performance.

Both ONAN and iNeno will fit in the space provided and they work just fine.
iNeno came with an AC 100-240v_47-63Hz charger.

P3315797.jpg

ivanll

I accidently left my Detector Pro HHPI on and drained the 9 volt Lithium-Ion batteries to zero volts. I put them in their charger and they came back to their nominal charge to 8.25 volts in about 6 hours. I was concerned that they wouldn't come back because normally I run them from 8.25 volts to 7.8 volts in about 4 hours and then recharge (in 3 hours) back to 8.25. It's good to know they can drain to zero and still come back.

It has been 5 months since my last post and I'm still using my HI TECH lithium Ion batteries.
I detect about 3 times a week and I still check my batteries with a meter after each use.
They are still performing as new.
I started using them in March 2012. I have probably been thru 90 - 100 recharges on each pair of batteries.
They are advertised to be good for 500 recharges.
I guess I should get about 3 years of use out of these 4 batteries.

Thanks ROBOCOP...My question has been answered & I appreciate your research efforts...HH...Tab.

ROBOCOP said:
It has been 5 months since my last post and I'm still using my HI TECH lithium Ion batteries.
I detect about 3 times a week and I still check my batteries with a meter after each use.
They are still performing as new.
I started using them in March 2012. I have probably been thru 90 - 100 recharges on each pair of batteries.
They are advertised to be good for 500 recharges.
I guess I should get about 3 years of use out of these 4 batteries.