Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Artillary Shell Fragment?

agentbud

Found this in a field that was know to have been shelled during the civil war. It is solid lead and measures about 3" tall by 2" wide. The thickness varies but appears to be about 1/2". I was thinking that maybe the three raised ridges might be from the rifling of a canon since they spiral some. These ridges can been seen on either side and one in the middle. I don't have much knowledge on civil war artillery but it seems like I read that some artillery shells had exterior parts made of lead so that they would accept the rifling grooves of the canon. Is that correct and can anyone confirm or not if this in fact might be part of an artillery shell?
Thanks.. Mike