Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Artillery Button

texjim

I went out for a little bit this afternoon and found a gold plated Artillery button, a silver top to something. I have no clue to what. I also found a 1931 Frigidaire token, amd a latch to a chest. Found with my VX3 using a 10 d2 coil. Thanks for looking

[attachment 259448 Super.jpg]

Nice haul there Texjim! Is there a back mark on that A Button? If there is I can give you the date range of its production.

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Very nice button Texjim. Scovill has been in business for a very long time... I believe since about 1802. At various stages in their history they changed the exact wording on their back marks. An example of this is : "Scovills & Co." from 1840 to 1850, and "Scovill. Mg. Co./Superfine" from 1850 to 1865. Your button is in GREAT condition for being dug so you should be able to read every letter on the back and that's exactly the info that I need to narrow the manufacture date.

Good job on all of your finds!

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Howdy texjim--

My button reference book is RECORD OF AMERICAN UNIFORM AND HISTORICAL BUTTONS BICENTENNIAL EDITION by ALPHAEUS H. ALBERT . Under Backmark Information on page 464 is listed the following:

Scovill. Mg. Co./ Waterbury Ct.
Scovill Mf'g Co, Waterbury Ct
Scovill Mf'g Co/, Waterbury
Scovill. Mf'g. Co./Waterbury.
Scovill Mfg Co,/Waterbury Ct

All of the above are listed as being produced between 1850 and 1865. My guess is that yours was too. VERY cool to dig an Artillery Button that was probably worn during the Civil War! Congratulations!

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel