Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Asking permission to hunt

dl_mooney

What are the general guidelines when when you get permission to hunt on someones land,do you offer to give them something you found ??? Bounty Hunter Time Ranger

You could give them something if you wanted to, everyone is different, some people say go ahead and hunt, some say yes but no digging and some just say no, the best thing I can think of if you are new to detecting is to practice digging holes and filling them back in in your own back yard first and when you are good at it and want to ask someone for permission you can show them that you know how to leave their yard looking like it was, maybe then they will be more willing to let you.

If they seem to be interested in the money, I offer to give them everything 1965 and newer.

hi dl. asking permission is a simple thing for me to do... i simply walk up to the door, intro myself, explain i'd like to detect their land, it's just a hobby, i'm not a treasurehunter, etc. i rarely get turned down, but it happens. i will offer to share only if i think i'll have a hard time convincing the people to let me detect their land.
as long as you come across as a genuine hobbyist who will respect their land, you shouldn't have much trouble at all. make sure to fill in your holes. often, if you do a good job at one spot, it can lead to many others. don't forget, dl, that people talk. good luck, and hh,

IF you get permission you always say it like this

whatever i find i will show to you and you can keep all of it or let me keep some of it.... its up to you..

NEVER SAY.........".whatever i find i am keeping and i might let you have some of it".... NEVER say this or anything remotely like this

if you say anything else you may offend them ..... its their land not yours and leave your ego and attitude out of it

read in the garrett forum a thread called "DENIED" its still on the first page of what happened to me and a so called friend on trying to hunt on someones property

Here is a technique that I have found to work very very well for me. I will simply knock on the door, and explain that I would like to detect the private land because of it's age and the possibility of finding some old coins---never give any expectations of what you think you are going to find---simply state old coins. The next thing I do is ask about any known lost jewelry or keys that I may encounter. Ensure that you return such jewelry. Returning jewelry is a great way to build trust, and get potential leads, this has happened to me numerous times in the past, for the price of a gold wedding band or a diamond ring, you are likely receive a green light to detect in the future as well as receive more leads to other private land. This also builds trust towards the hobby and puts it into good light. The most difficult part is to simply knock on the door, the worst thing that can happen is a "No". And oh yeah.... ALWAYS FILL YOUR HOLES!!!