Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Astronomy,

Old California

Always wanted to be an astronomer, since a kid many a day dreamed of having my own powerful telescope and Observatory in the back yard. Came close to getting a Meade telescope a few years back but somehow like before metal detecting was top priority hobby wise.

Recently, Made a trade with a California metal detecting friend swapping a detector for his Telescope. And a good scope to boot beautiful Meade 125 ETX with all the extra lens and computer controler, I'm set perfect astronomy package to get started with infact the scope is pretty advanced should keep me busy for a while and if an upgrade is in order it will be in the far distance future.

Recently made a decision of fazing out metal detecting, Just don't have time anymore especially with a busy work schedule and other priorities its exhausting trying to squeeze in a serious metal detecting hunt. But with Astronomy its going to be different, can enjoy this hobby from the back yard. Plus, Now I can built that observatory always day dreamed about.

Thanks for looking and if anyone else views the Galaxy please do share, Soon to be astronomer looking so forward to learning all I can from the stars above.

It's an old thread, but hopefully you'll get wind that someone replied :happy: .

I consider astronomy to be my primary hobby, followed by metal detecting. Been involved in both since my teenage years, but astronomy a bit longer. How did you make out with the ETX125? It's a great scope and I recently heard via another forum (Sorry edit) that Meade is bringing it back (now that Meade is owned by a Chinese company following bankruptcy by Meade).

Glad to meet a fellow amateur astronomer in here....

[size=medium]For several years I was into naked eye astronomy. Learned how to use my arm and hand and fingers as a protractor.

The reason there's 360 degrees in a circle is because the sidereal year is 366 days, not 365. The Babylonian base 360 system facilitated both the construction of accurate observatories, and allowed astronomical calculations to be done in your head using convenient fudge factors (this was a long, long time before pocket calculators or even pencils and paper).

Paul. Nice Acquisition. The ETX 125 is a very nice small appature scope. I have to ask having owned two of these. Is the RA motor still functioning? They have a sad history of going bad. Had one motor actually burn up control board. Also curious as to what accessories came with the scope, there are many ? Any dark skies near you? So congratulations on a very nice scope. Terry