Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

AT COILS

bigdad75

I'm new to the AT and ill tell you I like it,its definitely a coin magnet,Ive used every high end detector out there and i don't think they come close to the AT,this baby is picking up coins the others have past over,i have a old 1700s farm i can hunt and would like to know what you guys think is the best larger coil i can get to cover more ground and possibly a little more depth?,supposedly this farm had french Indian battle on it and i want to find all i can before its sold,and there's a Indian burial ground on the property but i wont go near it,so let me know what you guys think is the best larger coil for the AT.

The stock 8.5x11DD is the best large coil, in my opinion. It will pick through trash better than the 9x12 concentric, although the concentric will go a little deeper. If it is super trashy you could try the smaller DD, although I rarely use mine. I use the large DD almost exclusively. You can get closer to metal fences, metal furniture and re-bar laden concrete (sidewalks and slabs) with the small DD.

Let us know what you find. Take your time and hit it hard.

Probably the stock DD coil should do the trick....especially if there is some mineralization in the soil. Below is a link to a section which explains coils a bet for you:

http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby_searchcoil_tech_sheet.aspx

Old farm...from experience they are usually HORRIBLE with iron trash. I would like to cover more ground, BUT I now hunt those type of sites with the 5X8DD coil and can pick the goodies out from the tons of iron. If not an iron nightmare....like everyone else stated...the standard coil. Don't expect to get super depth with the ATP...its a great machine but not the deepest in the bunch. Remember...dig good sounding tones, because once you get to 6" the VDI is not very accurate or might not even give you a reading...so good sounding repeatable sound will be your cue to dig.