Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

AT Gold and 8.5X11 DD coil

I haven't done a proper comparison - the general consensus seems to be that you pick up an inch or two with the larger coil, but in trashy "target-rich" (heh) sites, the 5x8's ability to pick out good targets gives it the advantage. Maybe someone has done a scientific side-by-side? I've read that some nugget shooters prefer the sniper coil.

Yes but.... Wait a minute. the 8.5x11 IS the stock coil. If you meant the 5x8, as William mentioned, the stock 8.5x11 does go deeper but the 5x8 has the better separation at a trashy site.

Opp's forgot the AT Gold come out with the 5x8 as stock. Sorry!

I have both the Garrett AT PRO (8.5x11) and the Gold (5x8 coil) couple months ago. I took the Stock At Pro and put it on the gold did some air and ground test on it. I didn't notice anything different at at. I figure there's a reason why the Gold came with the 5x8 coil...just my thought.

I would think, you would get an inch or two in depth, Covers more area, faster. I ordered one today with a lower shaft, So I guess time will tell. Thanks Grubstake

Yes, it will see things at least a few inches deeper, and sometimes an extra inch or two more in all metal. It'll still hit micro sized gold/plat that alot of other machines won't even sound off on, some at several inches. After getting the 8.5x11 and running it awhile, the 5x8 has been hanging on the wall ever since. The only time I'd consider going back to the 5x8 would be to hit a very small sidewalk tear out or something like that, where you might be detecting close to pipes, guardrails, hydrants, lightpole's, etc. The 8.5x11 is plenty capable of sniffing out good targets amongst trash and nails like a champ. With the 8.5x11 it hits coins in my test garden deeper than any other machine I've had in the past.