Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

AT Gold in iron

txbluzman

I recently purchased an AT Gold and so far I love it. Does anyone have any experience with the AT Gold in a heavy iron CW site? I was wondering how the machine performed in that type of environment.

In heavy iron, I hunted in DISC 1 with the iron audio turned off as I suffer from audio burnout with the constant chatter of iron with the iron audio turned on. I have tried using the 1st mode, true all metal mode with the iron audio set at 40 and turned on. It too was very demanding, as you are always listening for a non-iron stable sound and comparing it to a VDI number. It works better if you turn the volume way down on your headset and slow your coil swing speed down. I would also suggest you use the 5 x 8 inch coil to cut down on the frequency of audio tones and increased target separation.

I've been hunting an area that is paved in rotten iron of all sizes (and I mean up to old cars). I thought it was un-huntable until I got the 5x8 and AT Gold. I often max the iron disc out at 44, set it to disc2, and turn iron audio off. I've pulled good targets out of literal fields of oil can lids and rusty cans. Needless to say, I use less disc when I get into a cleaner area like homestead ruins where there could be gold and interesting iron relics.

Of course, in a Civil War site you'd want to open it up for some of the iron relics. The large iron will still sound off even with the disc maxed out. As John mentioned, you'd likely want disc one with some iron discrimination, maybe in the 30s to eliminate most of the rusty nails and junk. The good news is that you have a lot of control, just depends on what you want to hear and your tolerance for iron signal overload.

Let us know how you're doing once you give it a try!