Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

AT Gold ... More Finds

Pete4AU

I mention in this video that the pinpointer made the ATG chatter. I think that was because I inadvertently hit the Frequency Button and changed to a frequency the pinpointer was on. When I set the ATG to Factory Default (for a different reason) by holding the On/Off button for five seconds the pinpointer chatter problem stopped. Hope that makes sense. I also have to mention that even though I have been using NEL coils I have no problem at all with the stock 8x5 coil. It is outstanding. Soon I will post some finds while using the stock coil. Hope you like this video.

All the best and HH

Pete [video]http://youtu.be/VDMT6IVjdqU[/video]

Pete,
Thanks for another interesting video. Nice country you're detecting.
You could go there forever and never hunt it out! I was struck by the small size of the coil and the vastness of the area so did some quick arithmetic.
If you cover 6 feet per swing with that coil, the area you're covering is about 360 sq, inches. An acre is approximately 200' x 200', or 5,760,000 sq. inches. 360 into 5,760,000 equals about 16,000 swings! How many acres are you detecting? You're gonna need some help, friend! LOL
HH!

You know togamac you bring up something very interesting! I think one of the metal detector manufacturing companies should invent a 'swingometer' so, at the end of the day we know how much ground we covered. Maybe it has already been invented, I just haven't seen the ad. I would buy one in a heartbeat!
Great idea coming up with those numbers man. You might have started something here!

HH

Pete

It is interesting and makes a guy think how big this Planet is, how small these coils are, and how short our lives are in comparison...:shrug:

No wonder they say 'no place is ever hunted out'...those absolutely PERFECT days are few per year, when conditions are just right, a fellow shows up with some great gear and knows how to run it, has the time to work it, etc...

I will say the right coil and rig (headphones included) tools, all the stuff we need to really work a good bit of dirt are now available to us...so a guy can focus on a modified swing pattern/coverage/retrieval methods..if he has the health and endurance that is...

I have a very stupid looking method for covering big empty ground really fast, but it works..I got it from reading Norm Garnushs' "The Golden Olde" beach hunting methods....I crouch down, legs real wide, and rock my upper body side to side trying to cover 12' swath and letting the coil momentum carry it around and back in a huge arc...all the while moving pretty fast and keeping that coil flat in as large an arc as possible...a guy needs a fast recovery rig, and gets into the rhythm on a flat expanse like a beach or sportsfield, and can quickly find the target heavy areas and work them accordingly...

That 'swingometer' would be cool, as well as a time meter on our rigs like an earthmover has would record how many hours per year it was turned on, and how much we used it...for guys that like speed sweeping, a guy can then do some accurate math as to how much $ per hr./ft. etc...and work on coil control and alternative recovery tactics to hurry things up...all these strange thoughts occur to a guy sooner or later after a bit of time behind the coil in a huge area like Pete is working!..:rofl:
Mud

Hey Mud, talking about wide open spaces. My next video should be online today (11-30-14) it hits "wide open spaces" right on the head. Went out Friday the 27th. Talk about a hike!

Pete

Hi, everyone, I am new to the Forum and new to serious Metal Detecting. Living in Florida for most of my life and having friends that detect, I have always had access to different machines, some hi end / some low end, on both on Beaches and inland. I was introduced to the At Pro Detector several months ago and after doing much research, I had to own one. I bought the At Pro last week. Comming from primarily using a spider coil, the DD coil is a challenge for me to learn, that being said, owning a detector that has all this machine has to offer, not to mention Waterproof is an unbelievable value. So far with the help of this forum & some great videos from Garrett and Youtube I am slowly learning this machine. This is an impressive machine

Welcome to the wild world of metal detecting. Be sure and show us some of your finds. I spent a year or so in Brooksville near Weeki Wachee. I really liked it there. Are you familiar with that area?

All the best and HH

Pete

That was a great vid! I can't believe how small that coil is, I normally use a 8x5 and it seems small, lol. What were those big rocks...and mortors? I've seen stuff like that before, somewhere.

Hello dgruff, glad you liked the video. Mortars were holes in rock made by Native Americas in which to grind seeds, mainly acorns. The more grinding the deeper the mortars got. They used a cucumber shaped rock called a pestle for the grinder. They also used a small round stone called a 'mano' for grinding seeds on a flat surface. I will put a video up of some mortars I have been fortunate enough to come across. It is a thrilling experience every time I find them because it takes me way back in time where I feel I really belong.

Take care and HH

Pete

Yes, please post a vid! I'm totally fascinated by Native American history and artifacts. I always look for them when I hunt around the lake here. But I'm in the biggest dry spell yet, as far as finding anything. And I'm going to have to remember where I saw those mortars at, hmm...

Thanks for the video Pete. Have you ever come across any of the pestles? The Indians probably took those with them when they wandered but if were me, I'd have stashed them nearby so's I wouldn't have to carry all that weight around!

Hello togamac,

Yep, found a pestle 9.5 inches long, 3 lbs, 11.4 oz. The mano is 2.75 inches and 8.3 oz.

When I asked Wes he told me that it was indeed a pestle and was also used as a double handed mano and had not been in use for a very long time.

Pete
[attachment 304147 pestle01.jpg][attachment 304148 pestle02.JPG][attachment 304149 Mano.JPG]

That IS super cool! That was also a nice memorial you did regarding Wes..He would no doubt be very happy for how you turned out!:clapping:
Mud

I didn't watch the entire vid the other day, nor did I have sound. Just watched again and realized Wes passed away. So sorry for the loss of a good friend. They are really hard to come by nowadays.