Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

AT Max (Do I have a problem?)

MrMole

Hi, all y'all. I am new here & to metal detecting. Only a little over 3 months experience. I've had my AT Max for 2 months and like it just fine. I want to ask any of you people with more experience than I if you have ever had this happen using the Max. It has been working fine since I received it but when I cut it on today it went into uncontrolled beeps and numbers on the screen. I cut it off and on a few times, didn't help. I checked the batteries,the search coil connections and did a factory reset on it. I could hold it up in the air and it did the same thing all four modes if I may describe what it sounded like, it was like I was holding it out the window in a speeding car (1 inch off the shoulder) over the most trashy soil in the state. The only thing that would quieten it was to turn the sensitivity to minimum/off. I did unplug the search coil from the unit and all was quiet. (A bad coil???) A while later, I tried it again and it was only about half as bad but still doing it. Still later, I tried it and all was back to normal. Is this thing affected by sun spots? Or does it have female electronics in it. I was using it in my own yard and while it does have a little trash in the ground it is nowhere near as trashy as the signal was indicating plus when I held it up in the air, the air was clear of metal flying objects. Anybody got any ideas what was going on? Thanks for any replies

I had a different companies detector do that same type of thing and it was a bad coil. Give Garrett a call.

John

My Ace 400 did the same. It would quit for a few days then start again. I too tried everything with no help. The day I decided to take it back to Garrett (I live close to their headquarters) it decided to behave. They checked it out and found no problems but replaced the coil anyway (unit was only 3 months old and they did not charge me). Since the coil was replaced, I have had no problems and that was about 1 1/2 years ago.

Is it doing that unstable audio in the same places as it ran stable previously? The reason I am asking is that there are places where I can not operate my ATs, due to electrical magnetic interference. Usually the culprit is underground electrical cables or near high power voltage lines. I get the same results as you, and wit will run stable with the sensitivity turned way down. So if you change locations, does it make a difference? If not, I would give Garrett a call. 1 800 527 4011. Good luck:thumbup:

Thanks for your reply.
Today I used if for a few hours. It started off working fine but after a while it got so noisy I could not hear a clear signal for the noise. I put it up and went back with my old BH. Getting ready to leave, I decided to try it again. I cut it on and it seemed OK so I walked to the place where it was so noisy. No noise at all now. I have no idea how to tell if I have some kind of problem or if the gremlins are after me. Now my Garrett pinpointer that works with the headphones has started crapping out. Put in a new battery ... same thing ... put the old battery back in seems to be working right again. This kind of sh-sh uh excrement drives my up a wall. My career was in electronics and I have had a lot of experience with intermittent crap. On another subject, think about this. All of our missiles are full of these type of electronics and as bad as ours must be Russia's and China's are bound to be worse. I'm going to keep using it my Max to convince myself that it does have a problem before I get into contacting Garrett. Thank all of you fellows that have replied to my inquiry. Hope you all have a great day ... everyday!

My Max makes a lot of noise when the coil connector becomes loose. About every 30 min. I will check and retighten it. Seems to be an auto. reaction now.

I contacted Garrett. After we talked, they are sending me a new search coil and a return label. They said if the new search coil doesn't fix it to send the control head and both coils back for repair. I haven't seen service like this since the late sixties. This company is creating customer loyalty by the day. I mean almost every thing that has electronics or moving parts eventually gives trouble so I don't blame them for this problem. After all, they may have made the unit but the parts were made by a lot of other companies. I have joined a lot of other people that mention how good their service is. Kudos Garrett!!!

Garrett furnished parts (battery holders & coils) for units long past warranty; and he also was very reasonable on repair costs, and very quick on turn-around.
Sounds like the boys are carrying on the tradition.
Some aftermarket companies do manufacture loops for many companies. (Discovery was a company at one time that made loops for factories, and made aftermarket loops, like the old Hot Head.)

Garrett service is second to none.
They treat their customers like kings and queens.
Even as good as Tesoro (RIP) was about service Garrett has them beat.
I have always had a Garrett detector of one type or another in my possession since the 90's.

I received the new coil from Garrett today. It fixed my AT Max! Hurray! They sure know how to create brand loyalty. I would have to say that there are few companies that can compare with them when customer service is the subject. Many kudos Garrett!