Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

At Max gets gold and silver today

wyohunter99

Went back to the demo lot today. This is the 2nd day of using this machine. I dug all repeatable mid and high tones. Dug a lot of junk but managed to find some cool stuff in the iron.first up what looks like a button, it is marked 14k gold. It looks plated. Then a medal or something that says war of 1917 US Army. A couple of wheats, a 29 and a 52. Then a really nice 1924 Merc! There were a couple of times when my machine just started freaking out like emi or something???? I tried adjusting everything but it did not change. Anyone else having this issue?

Awesome hunt! Nice find on the Military fob and 1st Merc!
Something similar happened to me on my second hunt with the Max. I turned the machine ON and it immediately started running erratic like I was close to radiation. I turned down the sensitivity and GB the machine then it was fine. However I never had it happen to me while in the middle of the hunt. Are there overhead power lines or other homes close by? Did you try cycling through all the frequency shifts? ( F1 - F4 ) ?

Here are some solutions taken from the manual:

1. Ensure your searchcoil is securely connected and the coil cable is snugly wound around the stem.
2. If using the detector indoors, be aware that excessive amounts of electrical interference exists, plus excessive amounts of metal can be found in floors and walls.
3. Determine if you are close to other metal detectors or other metal structures such as electrical power lines, wire fences,benches, etc.
4. Adjust frequency
5. Reduce your sensitivity setting.

I am curious, what were all your settings for the hunt ? Thanks - Jim

Hey Jim, yeah I tried everything. Yes there are overhead power lines. It seemed like it would freak out more as I would swing the coil. Maybe loose connection? My settings were same as yesterday. Zero mode, sensitivity at 5 bars, iron disc @26, and threshold at -3.

I am leaning towards coil connector. Double check and make sure the two copper connectors are all the way "seated in" then tighten.

:rofl: yea now I remember the video. For some strange reason I was thinking this was a video of the machine running erratic. This was about unstable #'s. Scratch the link.

No worries lol. Unscrewed the coil connection and re installed. Turned the machine on and it’s not erratic but gives tones when swung back and forth and when I tap on the coil. I guess I could try the 8.5x11 coil?

Are you in your house swinging the coil around? If so, I can see it possibly giving tone with all the possible metal targets. Also how high is your sensitivity set? I just fired mine up. I was at 5 bars of sensitivity and that thing was chattering away but no response from the coil when tapped.You may have a defective coil. Strap on the 8.5 X 11 and see how that pans out.

wyohunter99 said:
No worries lol. Unscrewed the coil connection and re installed. Turned the machine on and it’s not erratic but gives tones when swung back and forth and when I tap on the coil. I guess I could try the 8.5x11 coil?

yea that should not be happening. Call the Garrett crisis support center as that thing is sick :stretcher:

Edit: The guy also has his sensitivity cranked to maximum. He needs to turn it down at least in half. He may be near electrical interference too. This machine is very sensitive and powerful even at low settings.

wyohunter99 said:
I found a video. This is what happened to me today! Maybe I should call Garrett?

https://youtu.be/4jm1wEZwi8w

Maybe I will give it another hunt in a different location and see how it acts. It’s obviously working for the most part though considering how today went. Lol

Well if your machine continues to act nutty like this at the next location, call Garrett.

I got the max a month ago and after using the 8x11 did coil the EMI WAS SEVERE everywhere I went. It wouldn’t even get a penny 2 inches from the coil.

Called Garrett and they sent me another coil... problem solved! No clue what happened never dropped or anything. Glad Garrett has great customer service.