Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

AT Max versus AT Pro response tone

Is it just me or is the new AT Max's tone much more scratchy then the AT Pro. Seems like my Pro had a much smoother and pleasing tone to the signals then my AT Max. Almost makes good targets sound like junky targets. Is there something wrong with my Max?

My buddy sent his back ...It was doing what you said.....His buddy sold his...I guess he likes the Pro better!

As everyone is realizing, the Max is much more sensitive then the Pro. I was out hunting today in a sea of iron junk (back at the Old Boy Scouts camp) and I can "see" how non-ferrous targets can appear to be scratchy. Because the machine is "amped" up, I feel it is much more sensitive to the ground minerals than the Pro. I was crawling along like I always do with low sensitivity (4 bars) and despite hearing the "scratchiness" I hit upon a mellow and smooth (high tone) signal (turned out to be a 1937 wheat penny) Its gonna take time for our ears to get trained. Like I described it in my other posts, it seems the Max will "pull" "raise" "elevate" a non-ferrous target out of a dirty ferrous environment. Hard to explain but that's the best I have.

When I had the Pro, it was a much quieter machine. When it hit a non-ferrous target, the surrounding area (where the target was located) didn't sound scratchy like it does with the Max. Slow down and hover over the what you believe is a non-ferrous item and watch the target become smooth like it is with the Pro. At least this what I have learned being out in the field.

To answer your question: No, there is nothing wrong with your Max. Give it more time in the field and allow your ears to be tuned to those nice smooth tones. :)

megadivers said:
Is it just me or is the new AT Max's tone much more scratchy then the AT Pro. Seems like my Pro had a much smoother and pleasing tone to the signals then my AT Max. Almost makes good targets sound like junky targets. Is there something wrong with my Max?

Have you ised an AT Gold? Its tones are like the gold with the gain turned up more. Nothing like a pro other than housing, coil, and rod assembly.

I have had both the gold and the pro and the Max in my opinion acts different than both. IMHO.

[size=medium]MY opinion is the Max is a Gold on high dose steriods. easy way to to describe it is the Max is at least twice as fast on recovery as the Gold so you either get used to it pop and crack or slow you sweep speed done and cherry pick the good tones. give it time it WILL suprise you[/size]

I have seen 3 brand new ones act the same way. I think its just the nature of the beast. I would swing an AT Pro over the AT Max.

I have not tried an AT Max yet, would REALLY like to get one, but just isn't in the budget.

From what everyone is saying about the tones being more like the ATGold.....kind of means I would be a bit disappointed.

I have both the AT Pro and the AT Gold and I DEFINITELY prefer the AT Pro as far as the tones go.

I also find the AT Gold to be ALOT more 'chatty/noisy' than the AT Pro.

I prefer the AT Pro for coin hunting and the AT Gold for almost all the other types of hunting (i.e. jewelry, relics, artifacts, etc.).

I also prefer the notch discrimination that the Pro has versus the GOLD.

But I like the All Metal mode that the Gold has.

So... I guess I like them both for different reasons. Just wish to gold wasn't as 'chatty' and had the AT Pro tones.

Well last night I hunted a very old school that has been hunted hard for years. I got a good tone, not scratchy, clear and deep . Was using thunder coil and 4 out of 8 sens . My depth meter was pegged and no screen readout. I increased sensitivity 2 bars and and solid 82-83 came up..I turned 90 degrees and lost most of signal to an iron grunt.. dug it and at the 10-11 inch Mark is a early teens wheaty. And of course the iron was close, a small bolt/large nail looking thing.. now I don't know how deep the standard pro is but the max is deeper than most of what I've ever used.. I've dug deep coins with my etrac and 705 but not as many as I have with the max and I've only had it a couple months.. that to me speaks volumes.. if you like allot of the gold but the pro tones, you will get used to and love the max.. my buddy and I both sold our other detectors once we did some testing and decided to make ourselves use the max only.. now I would never go back to what I was using..

Good feedback. I may try setting the sensitivity down a bit. The soil here is red clay so that may have something to do with it as well. I am going to give it another go and see what I come up with. I may also look for another Pro as well since I am used to it.

Alvarado about 20 miles south of FT. Worth

basstrackerman said:
Well last night I hunted a very old school that has been hunted hard for years. I got a good tone, not scratchy, clear and deep . Was using thunder coil and 4 out of 8 sens . My depth meter was pegged and no screen readout. I increased sensitivity 2 bars and and solid 82-83 came up..I turned 90 degrees and lost most of signal to an iron grunt.. dug it and at the 10-11 inch Mark is a early teens wheaty. And of course the iron was close, a small bolt/large nail looking thing.. now I don't know how deep the standard pro is but the max is deeper than most of what I've ever used.. I've dug deep coins with my etrac and 705 but not as many as I have with the max and I've only had it a couple months.. that to me speaks volumes.. if you like allot of the gold but the pro tones, you will get used to and love the max.. my buddy and I both sold our other detectors once we did some testing and decided to make ourselves use the max only.. now I would never go back to what I was using..

Would you please let us know what mode you were in? I've been using a Pro for the past 6 years and just got the Max. Been out with it for only 2 hours with the stock coil so far in two different places that are not heavily trashed and so have been trying my best to stay in the All Metal mode because it's the deepest. It's challenging but I'm determined to tame this beast. Yes, the tones are scratchy and static-ky. My Pro would give me a smooth and solid 51 for a nickel. The only coin I've found so far with the Max is a nickel and I thought I was digging a pull tab because it was jumping all over the low fifties. Had ground balanced at 94.

Being new to the Garrett AT line of detectors and just receiving the Max two weeks ago, I've been watching every single Garrett AT Max video that pops up on YouTube.
I've been hoping to hear peoples signals when they dig. You Tube Shows like the "Hoover Boys" are interesting, but don't really help you learn your detector.

I found this older Garrett video very helpful to me. Just stumbled upon it yesterday

https://youtu.be/1rB5Ke3SVdM

This recent AT Max video was helpful too.

https://youtu.be/Q6lksFh-yAA

Try Zero Mode and your chatter should reduce. I've noticed the cracking and popping (scratchy/ chatter) is the discrimination circuitry response.

Hey folks, I bought the Max and did not care for it at all, all it did was grunt like a pig. no matter what I did could not get it too work good at all. AT Pro is a better bang for your buck, I have had my AT Pro 3 Seasons and have found Over $1200 Dollars in change alone. Just my opinion!!