Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

AT Pro, a slice of sedimentary layers of soft rock (shale), and lots of sunshine.

Fabio

Tomorrow I'm off to a huge cliff where I can see all the bent up and down layers of sedimentary rock. I already took some samples, crushed and panned, and found some magnetite and micron specs of gold. Using the AT Pro with the DD coil, what settings should I use? Should I just ground balance, and set sens at max and Pro zero? Is there a way to make the detector more sensitive for metallic ores? GB around here is usually between 75 and 78. I know the detector becomes very chirpy when I manually set the GB to zero. What are the differences when you GB +20 or -20? Will the pinpointer be useful, simulating an analogue detector? Some quartz is very hard while most of all the remaining material is very soft. The layers are pretty well horizontal although there are some areas where the layers curve straight up and straight down. There is no river flow in the layers, since the area was a seabed. There are some plant fossils in the layers. Any general suggestions on where to detect?

Oh, almost forgot. Today I checked the weight of my precious metals found so far:
32 grams gold, and 74 grams silver. Not counting silver coins.

Out of about 300 grams of fine powdered rock, I managed 3 visible specs of gold and some dust size particles.
Not bad.
Now, all I have to do is make a powered rock crusher and things could get easier.
:)

Well thats cool! Sounds like a fun adventure.:clapping:..Good job on your precious metal total so far...

Try a margaurita blender to powder up the rocks... ice and tequila first of course!...:beers:

I'm sure you will think up something, maybe a 55 gal barrel with some heavy steel scraps in it? I dont know...I've seen those old rock crushers that use trip hammers..a guy might think of something mounted on the front of a Bobcat and powered with its hydraulics? what are you thinking? Any good ideas to make an easy effective rock crusher?:shrug:
Mud

I was thinking more like the grape crusher for making wine. It'll work for the softer rocks, but the quartz is hard, really hard...

Trip hammer? I had to look that up! I've got my eye on an old dolly ( cast iron mortar and pestle) from the goldfields in a local antique store. But you can make one up from steel tube for the mortar and an air impact wrench run off a compressor powers the pestle, a metal shop can make you a custom pestle. Ive seen a couple in U-tube and the setup works quite well but was very loud, however it crushed Quartz samples in a tenth of the time a prospectors dolly would take!

I'm thinking of buying an AT Gold and switching from koinshooting, to electric-prospecting, my ACE 350 just has to find me some more goldies, a lot more! BTW goldies are $1 & $2 coins, used in OZ.