Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

AT Pro and Bullet Casings Discrimination

Lenmcgold

Some places I hunt in Nevada have lots of bullet casings, mostly brass. Suggestions on Disc. and other settings to try to avoid needless digging. They put out a strong signal like a coin does. Any help appreciated! Thanks, Len

Can you notch out the number (s) on the At Pro? You may lose some good targets by doing so, or if you're confident on the reading being a casing, don't dig it. Why take the chance on passing up a strong, coin sounding signal?

My experience has been that the shell casings always read below copper and silver coin sized objects. So, in essence, you could leave them in the ground. You could also run the coil over them in different directions and observe the tones/VDI #'s for further assessment. Notching out those targets will give you some relief, but you could risk losing some good targets.

Best to look at the whole picture. Is digging those types of targets going to result in me spending 95% of my time digging only casings, then I would consider either not digging the those targets, and if I encounter those casings, say 4-5 each minute, then I would notch them out. What it boils down to is am I wasting my time ONLY digging these casings?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6q2UytjZ28

Be carful discing out anything a lot of the casing read as Indian head cents and other important items. I know they are a pain to dig but you almost have to dig them to get at the good stuff.

fishers1, great tip, thanks for posting, but I am curious as to the typical VDI numbers Indian Head Cents have rung up for you on the AT Pro (stock coil). Just got my AT Pro for Christmas and haven't gotten an Indian Head cent yet (but have only had the detector out several times). Am I right to assume that you're referring to the pre-1864s, which are 88% copper (more "brassy" I guess), as opposed to the post-1864s, which are 95% copper? How about the thicker "fatty" Indian Heads I've heard about, do they ring up differently? I heard someone say to always dig a target that rings up at 61-62 because it could be a "fatty" Indian Head cent, but don't know if that's the case. Thanks!