Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

AT Pro Design Changes are HERE ... For a price...

Muddyshoes

Just spoke to Garrett (Mayra in repair...) about my GTI-2500 upgrade...

While I had them on the phone, I asked about the AT Pro changes and they said they are now shipping.

The NEW AT Pro has upgraded circuit boards (software upgrade/improvement I assume?), compression shaft locks/clamps and an extended armrest. They are 'cleverly' calling it an upgrade OPTION, so as a result, even folks like me who have only had their brand new unit for weeks, don't get it without paying. This makes me grumpy. I forgot to ask if they're changing the crappy foam handle that allows the detector to spin if you lift the coil above waist level unless you have that velcro strap on.

As a result, these changes/upgrades cost $39.95 including return shipping and are NOT considered a warranty repair, with the exception of the circuit boards which she said will be handled as a warranty repair.

The whole detector has to be returned for this upgrade/retrofit. Just make sure you call them before sending anything in to verify costs, etc.

I'll be honest. I'll let you guys send yours in first to see how you like the changes. Based on the original design, and the problems I'm hearing about the new headphone adapter, I'm gonna wait a bit.

Guess the market on Gizmo's will be soft soon...

- Muddyshoes

I had three Garrett's and didn't need cam locks for any of them. Also my armrest is ok for me, maybe I got short arms.
Those are nice upgrades for future buys or those who wish to have their current detector upgraded.
I don't know about the circuit board thing, mind seems to be running good.
Life is to short, I just don't worry about upgrades. Let see... Incase you haven't noticed, all electronic devices keep changing. :rofl:

HH

True, Oak, about constant technology changes. But I'll bet if you're on a PC you aren't running Windows 95 anymore. :)

The arm rest issue is a big one for me, and I'm not sure the benefit of the compression locks, Maybe the circuit changes will make the unit more stable? Am waiting for a callback from Garrett, unless one of the sponsors here will share the details about the board upgrades.

- Muddyshoes

Considering the costs of buying the 3rd party after market fixes, it seems you would have about the same amount involved with the machine if you sent it back to Garrett for the "upgrade". Maybe even less, pending on how many of the 3rd party items you were gonna buy.

I for one like the idea of having the cam locks on the rod. I was actually trying to find the correct model number for a Whites rod to fit the AT Pro so I could have that very thing. Someone here done a mod with the AT Pro and put it on a Whites rod...if they read this, which rod was it that you used?

You do have me curious about a circuit board upgrade though. That does make a person wonder. I like being in the know on everything though.

Got the callback from Garrett.. Guess I was so excited I jumped the gun, slightly.

The $39.95 includes the installation of the compression/cam locks and the extension of the armrest and return shipping. They charge because they consider it an optional upgrade.

There is no specific, new circuit board update as part of this as I understood from my first conversation, however there was an update fairly recently which would be covered under warranty, and is separate from the $39.95 thing above. Any detectors still under warranty are eligible for the board upgrades as part of that warranty. Call Garrett service with your serial number to find out if your machine is eligible. Mine was made right at the time of the last upgrade which is why there was a confusion when I called them originally.

Sorry for the confusion, good folks.

- Muddyshoes

Muddyshoes,

You had me calling everyone because of this post. I did to speak Mayra. She said to call back with the serial #. Since I don't have it yet(it comes Monday) I had to call who I ordered off of(they're the biggest). They gave me the serial #. Never got hold of Mayra again but the girl who answered the phone said that I should already have the new upgrade. The store that I purchased it from goes through a ton of them. So I guess my chances are good. And yes. I did order a Gizmo off Ebay...

I think it would be easier if Garrett released a statement as to the serial numbers that should get the upgrade. Like serial numbers starting with....

goodmore - That would make way too much sense - hopefully that's what Garrett will do to simplify things for everyone (especially their own staff)

There are no recent changes or new software on the AT Pro electronic circuit board that will be upgraded. I doubt very much that either Garrett or any other company building electronic components would suddenly make drastic changes/improvements 8 months into the release of a product, then suggest everybody to send theirs in for an upgrade plus pay for shipping. If there were any great improvements, they would either be available as on upgrade, but probably be saved for new models down the road. Garrett is always involved with research & development. You have to be these days to stay in business and remain competitive. Garrett has done an excellent job as always dealing with some issues on some units early in the release of the AT Pro.

However, on the plus side, Garrett has heard suggestions from some customers that they prefer cam locks and a longer cuff extension. Now everyone comes in different shapes and sizes, so the extended cuff extention is not for everyone. The cam locks are prefered by some, while others complain that over time they seize up. So it looks like Garrett has made available the oppurtunity to get the cam locks and or the cuff extention. And at a reasonable price from what has been quoted from a poster. The official upgrade and cost has not been released, so standby to see what materializes. Garrett has always given excellent customer service and have always backed up their products. If you have issues with your electronics not working, by all means have it repaired under warranty.

John

Garrett themselves told me on the phone today that they upgraded all of their ATPros and they are shipping out now. Why would they say this then?

I used an old White's PRL detector rods. basically a "S" rod set up. Just drilled two holes in the pole to screw the Garrett housing too.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?79,1500010,1500010#msg-1500010

BTW did you get my PM video I sent you?
JOE

I talked to my dealer today after reading this and he said he had not heard anything about this. A little while later he called me back and indicated that Garrett was doing the upgrades to software/circuit boards, BUT that this had just started (today or very recently) and indicated Garrett was not intending for this information to be out in the public just yet. My take on the conversation was that this information was prematurely/mistakenly released by a staff member. As an earlier poster said, I think everyone should be patient and allow Garrett the time they need to establish their policy regarding this and put out the information to the consumer. I think Garrett will take care of everyone according to their customer service policy. Just my thought...:biggrin:

Garrett needs to make sure that the AT Pro can actually be submerged a foot or two in water for more than an hour or two without leaking and secure their statement that the AT is waterproof up to 10'.

Cosmetic changes don't mean squat to me if the machine isn't waterproof.

So far my AT Pro has more hours in shipping back to Garrett than it does hunting. And that my friends is ridiculous.

My AT's serial # starts with 511 if that means anything.

I'm glad to hear about the changes. Don't forget the Gizmo fits not only the ATpro but the Ace 150, 250 and 350 too.