Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

AT PRO DISCRIM. NEED ADVICE!

Lenmcgold

Hello, subject setting discrim. Always running in PRO Mode - I set the discrim at maximum which is 40, and even notching out all the way up to 70 - still signaling junk constantly - foil/pull tabs/bottle caps and other "collectibles'. Usually run in Pro Coins setting unless Zero discrim. for prospecting.
Anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks, Len McGold

Forgot to mentioin is was on a beach at Lake Tahoe - dry sand, wet sand and in the water. Example I gave above was almost all dry sand.
Len

Ok...for fresh water sand, water hunting, I run Pro Zero, disc 40..8.5x11" stock coil....with sens set 3 clicks down from full power..iron audio OFF ...Sometimes I'll kick the sens up a notch, and/or drop disc to 35...but in this kind of place, you WANT to hear and recover anything that sounds like foil or tabs or junk above iron.....get a good scoop and its not too bad digging it all...you will learn a whole lot about evaluating a target by its size and depth etc...

You want to hear JUNK on a location like what you are hunting...thats a good sign that nobody has hit it before or very well...report back on your results, and Good Luck! :detecting:
Mud

OK; first and foremost, you need to concentrate on the sounds, then the VDI. My setup is as follows: Pro, disc at 35, iron audio ON, nothing notched-out. Then spend hours and hours with the machine.

The machine will not find stuff...you will.

Every machine, whether AT Pro or not, requires hours (and I mean freakin' hours) of hard labor to decide whether to dig or not. I promise you; there is no magic formula. I can go to an urban park with the 5x8 coil and kill it, then use the 9x11 and get shut out. Reverse the coils in a different area, and the reverse can hold true.

Bottom line: don't fret over the precise settings...you will get it with practice, I promise. This is what can happen occasionally...

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/431077-straight-fom-dirt-no-more-needs-said.html

Relax, swing purposefully, and dig.

aj

Exactly. I was out for an hour today, just for the fun of it, and to study the readings on my AT pro. I dug up 15 pieces of trash I knew were trash, even guessed most of the trash correctly. Two great "coin" signals were, in fact, coins. A 1924 10 cents Italian Kingdom and a 1921 20 cents Italian Kingdom. It sure is hard to be consistant with those 38-55 VDI signals... I only wish there was more gold in them thar fields... I started sloppy in my digging today, I hacked the two coins... After that, I was more delicate with my digging tools. Holes were all covered correctly. :)
In the open farm fields, I sway until I hit a good repeatative signal, then I look at the VDI as I continue to sway. I then make my judgement on what might be under there, scrape away some tall grass, sway again, get the pinpointer out and center the target, then I dig it out. On lawns, I dig the smallest plugs possible, without hacking at the ground. I must add, I use the scraping method in the fields because there's only a couple of inches of dirt on the ground and limestone under that. Digging a nice smooth plug is practically impossible, even with wet ground. I ground out at either 70 or 75, rounding out lower than what the MD does automatically. 2 to 3 notches down from max sensitivity. Discrimination will vary depending on what I feel like searching for on that day's hunt. If I'm hungry for at least a coin, I'll only search 70+. In areas I've already dug up (with my ACE 250), I'll even go to all metal mode and listen for the stronger deeper signals. Today, the ground was relatively wet, and for the first time, I dug up a few more corona caps than usual. The wet caps made the signals rebound higher than usual, and without the ferrous background...
As long as I bring home at least ONE coin, then I'm a happy detector. :)

I run pro zero, 40 discrim, 1 notch from full. Iron audio off.

I have this question. Can I just switch the audio on at any time or do I have to let the 4 or 5 seconds to let the machine reset?