Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

AT-Pro nets me my oldest coin so far...

Diggin-it

I don't do very much dirt hunting, I mainly hunt beaches and the water...so I don't find many older coins at all. I was bored on Sunday and decided to hit an old local park. This park has been hunted very hard over the years. I myself have hunted it probably a half dozen times, never find anything but modern clad and lots of old round pull-tabs. Well I started hunting with the AT-Pro with my 5X8"DD coil on it. I was finding the same old stuff like before, a little clad and garbage. I decided to start hunting right up against some of the trees, I have done this in the past but was running the standard coil. I found a few nickels, then I got another nickel VDI...right up against one of the trees. I dug down about 4" and out pops another dark nickel. Well I start to clean it off and I see a 5. At this point I'm wondering if it is a token instead. I clean it some more and I see the text "United States..." I flip it over and start to clean it and though roasted very bad I can make out a Shield. Holy cow...I had to get my phone out and Google Shield nickel. I was very excited to see the years minted..1866 to 1883. The date is roasted but can barely make out the last number, a zero. So its either a 1870 or 1880. Either way I dont care...its my oldest coin ever found.

20130530_151820_zpsbbf6eb99.jpg

20130530_151851_zps2cc16a6b.jpg

That is an awesome find I would say you need to slowly hunt that area again there could be silver there that is lurking

nice find!

Guessing your going to do more dirt hunting now! Great find!

That's a beaut! Proves the adage that no site is ever hunted out!

Really great find there, Les!:clapping: Yeah it will take some sand to get moved for the Big Lake beach work to begin. I'm spending time inland myself.
Mud