Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

AT Pro or AT Gold

shawnIN

Hello all. A little background first and then my question. I am have been a minelab guy for about 10 years. I have used Whites, Garretts, & Fishers in the past. I am wanting a detector that I can use in creeks and swimming areas and the Garrett AT line has my attention. It will not be replacing my Etrac, but I like the fact that it is waterproof up to 10 ft. I also think it would be a great detector if I can get my wife interested in the hobby. My youngest daughter has a White's MXT Pro. Hoping to kill two birds with one stone. I can use Garrett to hit the water areas I want to hunt and then my wife can use it also. My question is what do you experts here recommend. I am wanting to look for mainly gold and silver jewelry and of course any coins I run across. That being said, AT Pro or AT Gold? What are the advantages of one over the other? My decsion is already made on getting the Garret, just not sure which one. Thanks for looking and any help in making the decision.

Well, assuming you are in Indiana and intend to use it like you stated, (fresh water) I'm in Mich and went with the Pro with the waterproof phones.:thumbup:..I figured if I ever get a chance to go South and hunt salt it would be better for that, at least thats what I've heard...

I have only run in one setting for a year and a half, Pro Zero, 40 disc, iron audio off, and never at full sens power, (generally 3 clicks down) large stock dd coil. I have not ever used the PP button or the ground balance, saying this to tell you you can turn it on and hold the disc button while you count to ten and hunt! So its very easy for anybody to run, hits deep even at the lower sens, will not and I say NOT miss a ring, or a chain...you can hunt extremely fast, or go snails pace with it as well...
I hunt mainly water gold and silver jewelry, beaches and whatnot..never any trouble..got 125gr of gold this year with it, 2 chains, and I dont know how much silver...so even not setting the thing up "right" it kills! Definitely one of those tools that pays itself off very quickly...I'm sure somebody will be along shortly to elaborate on the technical detail differences...Good Luck!
Mud.

mudpuppy said:
Well, assuming you are in Indiana and intend to use it like you stated, (fresh water) I'm in Mich and went with the Pro with the waterproof phones.:thumbup:..I figured if I ever get a chance to go South and hunt salt it would be better for that, at least thats what I've heard...

I have only run in one setting for a year and a half, Pro Zero, 40 disc, iron audio off, and never at full sens power, (generally 3 clicks down) large stock dd coil. I have not ever used the PP button or the ground balance, saying this to tell you you can turn it on and hold the disc button while you count to ten and hunt! So its very easy for anybody to run, hits deep even at the lower sens, will not and I say NOT miss a ring, or a chain...you can hunt extremely fast, or go snails pace with it as well...
I hunt mainly water gold and silver jewelry, beaches and whatnot..never any trouble..got 125gr of gold this year with it, 2 chains, and I dont know how much silver...so even not setting the thing up "right" it kills! Definitely one of those tools that pays itself off very quickly...I'm sure somebody will be along shortly to elaborate on the technical detail differences...Good Luck!
Mud.

Mud said it all

If your old like me, 71, You can only dig so many holes,, so why waste time on trash..
I use to dig iron and everything above iron,, in all that time,,may be one or 2 good targets
were dug that my unit said was trash.....I love the Iron disc. and Iron Audio.....

I have the AT Gold and 2 AT Pro's,,, I like the AT Pro better,,but not by much....
I never use the STD. mode,, and wish it was not on my AT Pro,, in its place,
the all metal mode and the threshold mode from the Gold instead...
If you hunt in the STD. mode,,why not just buy a Ace 250,, the Pro mode is
deeper and you get more help with the iron disc and audio.....

My favorite coils are the 5x8,,4.5 SS,8x11 and the 6x9...
The 5x8 and the 4.5 super sniper coils have made my best finds,,but, it just depends on where
you hunt,,,I like trashy areas,, because some people will shy away from them,, here..
If I hunt a area to trashy to GB,,I can put 80 on my Pro and 50 on my Gold and hunt,, love that manual GB..

It all depends on what and where you hunt and like best,,the gold comes stock with the 5x8 coil and the Pro comes stock with the 8 x11'' coil...
I like the DD coils over a Con. coil...With the same size coil,, the Gold might be a inch or two deeper....
Also, in some place's, EMI may bother my AT Gold more than my AT Pro...

Good luck with what ever you pick,, I have used a lot of other units and have other units,,
2 At Pro's,,AT Gold,,GTI 1500,,Explorer SE Pro, F-75 ltd,. CZ 3d and a I. D. Edge,,,
and I grab the AT pro with the 5x8 coil...or the gold with the 4.5" coil....

A link to some posts, same question,,also see the video's on Garrett web site...

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?79,1990358,1990358#msg-1990358

There is another option not often mentioned.

It will "GB" on an Australian goldfield, it will also "GB" on a saltwater ocean beach.......and any park in between.

Garrett CSI-Pro...........All Pro no Std. mode.
CSI-Pro_NELHunterAllTerrain.jpg

Originally supplied with a 5"x 8" AT Proformance DD coil, I just needed a longer coil for larger areas.

ivanll

For freshwater, get the AT Gold. For salt water, get the AT Pro.

The gold will get a little more depth in it's exclusive true all metal mode, which the AT Pro has not. The AT Gold has three preset programs.....true all metal mode, non discrimination mode and coin mode. The AT Pro has programmable modes using +/- notches, including coin and zero discrimination mode. It has a standard mode, basically an ACE machine and a Pro Mode (the better of the two) has much better stability and better audio.

I want to thank everyone so far for their inputs. I still is a tough decision. Got plenty off time to decide, so please keep them coming. I want to learn as much as possible about both machines. :detecting:

I want to thank everyone for their input. Based on what I want to do with it, I decided on the AT Pro. Working on a deal now. If works out, I'll be the proud owner of an AT Pro. If not, I got a few months till detecting season. Ground is brick hard around here now.