Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

AT Pro or AT Max for newb?

Tajue17

kind of a newb but I'm familiar with tesoros but I want to upgrade a fisher F2 I have also... looking for a submersible machine mainly for submersing in ponds and the occasional trip over wet salty sand. I'm checking around about a bunch of different machines and wanted to feel around on the AT Pro and AT max,,, I'm kind of getting the hint the Max may not be for me and to go with the pro Mainly because there is so much info on it and its not as sensitive.

also where I'm looking mainly for a submersible would you buy used or stick with brand new "just in case" something leaks and I need that warranty,,,,, mainly do the ATpros ever leak even after a couple years old???

Hmm figured this might be an easy one,, so I researched it on YT reviews and If do go with the garret it will be the ATpro because there is just Too much user info on that machine and its not as HOT as the max,,,, even the pro guys (aquachigger) have trouble keeping it quiet they say it with a smile be we know..

thanks everyone who visited this thread,,, T

Good luck with your choice. The AT Series all have strengths and weaknesses. Looks like you did your research and made a wise decision!

Thanks for this thread. I was discussing this tonight with Ohio Fred, saying that while I like my Tesoro Tiger Shark, I really want a "wet" machine for the two weeks I’ll be spending in Florida in February, and I want one with a display so I know what I’m digging in wet or dry sand, as well as good old dirt. The TS is a great machine, but I guess I’m just getting lazy in my old age. Probably going to look for a previously owned machine through a dealer. That will give me. Higher comfort level knowing that the machine has been gone over by a dealer, and not a machine with problems that someone is just unloading on the first sucker with cash.

Few years ago Garrett completely overhauled my AT Pro. One of first year models. Including a new outside. About 50 bucks. Been singing real sweet ever since. In today's real world that's hard to beat. So I wouldn't worry too much about used.
Dancer

I'm a new user of the Max. I've used many detectors from the Nautilus (still do) to Whites. I have found CW bullets at really good depths in spots I have literally pounded with the other detectors. It definitely has a spot for my detecting needs. Good luck!

I had a new Max and didn't care of the sound of it I liked the pro sounds much better so I traded off the Max but now with my age creeping up on me I am getting ride of mt Whites Machines thet just ar too heave and going back to the At Pro and ATMAX again I will give it another try
DFXDon

Had two Pro's, a Gold and 1 Max. The Max seemed to separate close items the best . Just before I sold it I dug a 1842 seated dime at an honest 9" but the soil is fairly neutral here. I liked everything about it . Wish I had it back. Oh well----- .

Posted by: dan b [ Send a Message ]
Date: May 01, 2018 08:04PM
Give it time. I missed my ATPro at first, but not now. I’m finding the audio very expressive, more so than the ATPro.

Posted by: dan b [ Send a Message ]
Date: September 25, 2018 09:00PM
I’ve had both, and if I was to buy another, it would be the ATPro without a doubt.

So the first post from May 2018 indicated you were liking the AT Max better than the AT Pro. The second post from Sept. 2018 says you would buy the Pro over the Max without a doubt.

What caused you to change your opinion, Dan?

I suggest you take the shark with you. I have used my Max on saltwater beaches and it gets very unstable, to the point where its not really too enjoyable. once it hits the wet sand and saltwater thats it. its a great machine otherwise. FBS machines work very well in wet sand. I currently own and use a Minelab safari (fbs) a tesoro sand shark (pulse induction) and the At Max(single frequency). Both the Safari and Sand shark are great on any beaches. No discrimination on Shark, lots of adjustments on Safari. This is only my own experience, I also haven't been on any of the beaches n Fla. New England beaches do have some black sand which affects metal detectors. Good Luck and have some fun..

I am looking for some advice........

I recently purchased a new AT Pro. (based on tons of referrals)
I have only owned old school detectors. (Tesoro, nautilus, fisher, 1980-early 1990 models)

Making a return back to metal detecting and I found the AT Pro to "run me around" meaning it goes off on everything. I am used to Tesoro, Nautilus where it goes off on signals but you can tell by the tone if its iron or a solid dig target. However after several recent hunts, the AT pro just, beep, beep ,beep, beep ,beep on every swing. It was very chaotic and I got sick of it going off the entire time.
I watched many many videos on you tube on the AT pro and would love some advice on it.

I ground balanced it, off I go, with iron set on 35, I tried it in Pro and standard modes. It still goes off like crazy on each swing. I have played with the sensitivity and the notch disc. but I am concerned I am missing something. I also read the manual 4 times and again back to you tube videos on this machine.

Question: does the AT Pro just go off all the time & I need to keep with it to get used to it? or is there a setting I am missing? Maybe I have a bad coil or issue with the machine? Lastly, maybe the areas I hunted were super trashy, I know the last one was, I went over it with my old tesoro and it was peaceful after all the chaos of the AT Pro

Any Help is very appreciated

Hi Rockman, my first advice would be to start a separate thread. This is an old thread and a lot of users here probably aren't opening it. Start a new thread and ask for help in your title.

You say you've watched a lot of videos on the AT Pro, is your machine's audio behaving differently than in the vids? If so, your unit or coil may be defective.

If you are using no discrimination or have the iron audio on in heavy iron, you will get a lot of sound because that's the detector picking up what's in the ground.

If it beep beep beeps in a metronome like constant pattern in different locations, same time between beeps, then there is a problem with either the detector, coil, or the way you have it set up.

If you can't resolve the issue, call Garrett and they will give you a RO# for repair. The repair will be covered under warranty if it's less than two years old.

Good luck!