Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

At pro question

Hoze513

Before I start saving up for a Atpro. I want to know whats the deepest coin you found with your Atpro? And did the VDI give you a good reading? What don't you like about the Atpro?

What I like about the AT Pro isn't so much the depth. Any mid to higher end detector in the right hands can go pretty deep. The AT Pro and its coil and audio-scheme makes finding things that I missed with other detectors really easy. In just a little over a month, I've found more dimes per outing than I ever have. I found 5 rings my first time water searching ever, and 3 more rings since in my first month. I've found more nickels in one month than I had previously in years. I can search in a trashy area next to a trash can in a park and pick out coins because of how the audio works that I could never pick out with any other detector. It's super light-weight, also.

If I'm going only for depth, I'll use my GTI-2500 with a large coil, unless the soil is very mineralized. The AT Pro with numerical VDI gives me a more precise measurement of targets that are in trashy areas. Then there's the water which the AT Pro allows you to start exploring if you've not done it in the past.

That being said, I had to replace my Bowie knife as the digging tool I used for 25 years when I bought my AT Pro. It goes deep... dimes at 8-10 inches. Nothing deeper yet coin-wise, other than keys and full beer can I dug about 18 inches at the beach like an idiot.

- Muddyshoes

This tiny little 5 cent silver was around 8 inches deep. It was sort of on edge in the ground, I was very impressed! I know 8 inches isn't super deep for most coins, but when the Pro located this very small, thin silver coin lying awkwardly in the soil...I was blown away. And I am positive that I ran my old detector over this very spot several times last year.

Going deep is not always the answer to finding the good stuff. I would say the AT Pro is average on depth. Sometimes the display will not even register, but you get good tone. Always hunt with the ears. If it sounds good dig it. The number one rule of metal detecting. And that rule has not changed since the beginning of our hobby. And there is no detector out there that will keep you from digging junk. And you will find that the people that go only by the screen are not digging nearly the good stuff that they should be.

The best feature of the AT Pro is the ability to sound off on a good target that is surrounded by junk. There are many masked targets out there that will make your day if you dig one. The At Pro is one of the best out there for helping to do that. When you factor in the price the AT Pro is just a great detector. Have there been issues with the manufacturing? Yes some people have had problems. But not one person out there (and this is important ) can say that Garrett has not stepped up to the plate and made things right. A great detector from a great American company.

The AT Pro is not the deepest detector out there. And that is just the truth. But it can hunt with those detectors and hold it's own. When you factor in the price and the fact that those other guys need to watch for rain clouds, it is a great detector. I can hunt a muddy mess and come home and hose it off. I am not investing in box covers or stands. I lay it on the ground. Did I say the AT Pro is a great detector? The best? Everyone has their opinion on that one.

it depends on your soil condition, I have dug coins over a foot down, a couple of early LCs, one problem is it finds things real deep and I can't dig that deep with the roots and the rocks, I have used it in the rain, the spring with snow , the ground wet, the ground dry and in the heat this week and have found things every time, learn what the grunts and squeals are telling you, it like to whisper to you

sniffy said:
it depends on your soil condition, I have dug coins over a foot down, a couple of early LCs, one problem is it finds things real deep and I can't dig that deep with the roots and the rocks, I have used it in the rain, the spring with snow , the ground wet, the ground dry and in the heat this week and have found things every time, learn what the grunts and squeals are telling you, it like to whisper to you
I have too agree with you sniffy and everyone else :thumbup:

First of all look around the industry and try and find a multiple use detector that can be used for coins, jewelry, prospecting, beach hunting and underwater all for less than 600 bucks.
Sure there are programable detectors in the market that will go deeper than the AT Pro, but not at the same price point. One of those will cost you twice as much. Will they find twice as much in your hands, I doubt it. I have owned and still do own 5 high end detectors. For everyday park, vacant lot and miscellaneous detecting, the Pro is my go to choice.
The Pro is great in trash even using the large coil. I have the 5 " sniper coil and rarely need it. This machine has a great recovery rate, excellent target separation and spot on VDI refrencing. If these are the features you are looking for in your price range of less that 800 bucks, then purchasing a Pro should be a no brainer If you have 900 buck then buy a Whites MXT Pro, if you have 1800 bucks buy a Whites V3i. They are both a little and a lot deeper than the Pro, but you are now buying the most expensive and most bullet proof detectors available today, thus the most expensive. None of those will find anything the Pro won't find if the item is less than about 9" deep.

Sorry for the long dissertation.

There is not a lot to dislike about the pro except for the cheese headphone and coil wire attachments, lame short arm cuff and no backlite. That's about it. Iron audio really let's you know if you are reading bottle cap or a quarter. My coin finds per month have gone from about $45 to $50 per month to over $120 each month since I have owned the Pro. I have not found any gold rings yet, but not many where I'm hunting. Have found 6 silver coins, 3 silver rings and a silver heart, in about 2.5 months that I have used it. That is better than I have averaged with much, much more expensive machines.

There you have it. I wold give the Pro 5 stars for sure. I feel I'm probably an intermediate knowledgable detectorist with about 16 months experience using an Ace 250, Gold bug II, MXT 300, DFX and AT Pro.

Great stuff people, thank you for posting. I will still like to hear more. So fAr I got $150. save up for my Atpro. Hopefully in the next three months I will have enough to buy one.