Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

AT Pro vs AT Gold

JLJLochland

My questions concern the differences between these two Garrett machines, AT Pro and AT Gold. The AT Pro has the notch discrimination.The AT Gold has 18khz which I understand is better than the 15khz of the AT Pro for gold. Are there any other major differences? Also does the khz difference between these two machines matter with gold jewelry?

There used to be a great video on the AT Pro when it was coming out. They had a piece of gold showing the capabilities. That Machine was ringing CRAZY. LIKE YOU WOULD NOT BELIEVE.. That's when I decided to get one. Of course the gold was not available.

Found it!!!! Search the following on You tube!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHHRFAk4ld4

I've run both relic hunting and can say that the Gold is way more sensitive to small targets. It picked up a bunch of tiny bits of melted lead that a bunch of machines have missed over the years. Really looking forward to spending more time with mine.

I've own both these machine, sold the GOLD and keep the PRO, I been finding gold rings and silver rings like crazy. that should answer the question.

Do you suppose the sensitivity to very small objects could have something to do with the size of the coil? Some people with more experience than myself report that a larger coil such as that on the AT Pro will go deeper than a small coil, but the smaller coil such as that on the AT Gold be more sensitive to the very small objects you are talking about.

Larger coils do lose sensitivity to smaller items but I think the machine is just tuned to pick out the small targets. I ordered a NEL sharpshooter to replace the 5X8 as the reviews I read said it gets the same depth as the larger garrett coil but the smaller size will let me navigate brush better. If you follow some of the popular YouTube relic hunters that use the Pro a lot of them got the Gold later and are using it more and more.

The AT Gold is more machine. The All Metal mode is like a whole 'nother machine. You'll find stuff the discriminator misses and it goes deeper. You still have target ID so you can decide if you want to dig. So you need to learn the AM mode but many people have a phobia. Get some of Clive Clynick's books and you'll be ahead. If you are just working trashy parks the Pro is what you want.

To simplify the comparisons between the two, if you hunt for gold in it;s natural environment le nuggets, get the gold. It will do a better job hunting those areas where the mineralization changes and picking up tiny nuggets is a necessity. For general coin relic and water hunting, get the AT Pro. And.....switching coils can also help with your specific types of hunts.

The facts are in the chart, the gold does more. Neither is great at salt water, so why bother. Buy a FBS BBS or pi for the ocean and go gold for every where else.