Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

ATG AND ATP operating frequencies...????

jughed440

I'm a long time Minelab user and for various reasons I'm considering buying an AT Gold. Question...the Garrett website comparison chart shows different operating frequencies... ATG is 18 kHz, and ATP is 15 kHz. Why the difference? Is the higher frequency better for finding gold??

The higher the frequency of a detector the hotter it is on gold and lower conductors. They either one are capable of finding gold rings but if I was a gold nugget hunter hunting for nuggets the AT-Gold would get the nod.

I'm no expert on this, but higher frequencies hit smaller gold better, too. You go too high and you start to lose depth and it won't handle mineralization as well. My experience with the AT Gold is it hits harder on gold than it does on silver. But it still hits good on deep silver.

Thank you both for that information. Just ordered the AT Gold. Am i dreaming too much to say that the combination of the ATG and the E Trac will leave nothing of value behind on those trashy 1800s farm sites?? :crazy:

Short answer--Yes. LOL Nobody gets it all. The AT Gold goes deep in All Metal mode. I have dug coins more than 12 inches, but they don't register on the ID.That's with the 5 x 8 coil. The ATG really has good target separation and recovery speed and the hi-resolution iron discrimination and Iron Audio.

How many hours can the ATG go with a set of fresh batteries??

My AT Pro goes 30 to 40 hours. I use headphones and turn it off when I dig for a target.

jughed440 said:
I'm a long time Minelab user and for various reasons I'm considering buying an AT Gold. Question...the Garrett website comparison chart shows different operating frequencies... ATG is 18 kHz, and ATP is 15 kHz. Why the difference? Is the higher frequency better for finding gold??
Hi, I have found that the AT Gold is better at picking up thin gold chains than the Pro, this is at the beach, I have only found chains on the beach so far though.

This article reals has me wondering. I currently own the AT Pro as well as a White M6. I am going to trade in the White too get a second Garrett. I was going to go with the AT Gold however there is a deal for ATPro. It comes with the second coil (5x:geek: as well as the camo pouch, case, hat and something else. for $674. where as the AT Gold is $699 and nothing extra. I live in Michigan and don't have Gold nuggets but thought by having the AT Gold I could plan a trip west. The dealer I am buying from said the AT Gold is just a stripped down Pro and the difference in the kHz doesn't really matter, however he said the thresold does help for small nuggets. He also said unless I was to put considerable time out west not to spend the extra on the Gold. I wish AT Gold had the same deal as the Pro. that would solve everything for my dilema.

I have them both and if you already have the Pro , then get the Gold. You will be finding your self using the Gold more then the Pro. I have a few go to detectors but always finding my self taking the Gold most of the time. GS

I wanted to say that I have had a whites mxt and a Fisher Gold bug Pro and now have the Garrett ATG. Of all the detectors, the ATG is the only one that I have actually found gold nuggets with. I am up two nuggets one was 3.4 grain and the other was 4.4 grain. That is pretty small.

I find it to be great on hot rocks. I am able to GB them out which saves digging. The iron audio is great too which saves you from digging steel and iron pieces. Having said that, I still like to didg everything just incase.

What I don't like about the ATG is the silliy connector for the coil and the head phones. I find it very time consuming trying to connect them.

It also is a killer on pennies. There isn't a penny out there that this won't pick up. I find myself passing now on the pennies. Foil makes an erratic scratchy sound, so I passs on that too. The target ID sometimes doesn't give a reading as well.

I use the 5x8 coil. I ordered the sniper coil to hit the bedrock better. Bedrock in my area has lots of ridges, gaps etc and the 5 x8 coil is too big.

Dwayne, thanks for your input on the ATG!!
What I don't like about the ATG is the silliy connector for the coil and the head phones. I find it very time consuming trying to connect them.
I must agree...not a very good design, and with what little area there is to grip it's difficult to tighten them thoroughly.

Yeah, it takes about thirty seconds to connect. Make sure you have good light so you can see what you are doing. Small price to pay for a waterproof detector. I used a pair of pliers to GENTLY snug it tight.

I keep a watchful eye on the connector now froom the coil cord to the control box. Twice I have noticed that the steel connector has come lose from the threads. I guess I should use pliers to tighten it.