Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

ATMax and the elevated nail test

dan b

Has anyone tried the elevated nail test with their ATMax? I'd sure link to see a video before I pull the trigger.

Hi Dan,

Not sure what you mean by elevated nail test. Do you mean two nails higher than the coin that sits in between?

dan b said:
Has anyone tried the elevated nail test with their ATMax? I'd sure link to see a video before I pull the trigger.

provide me with more specifics and I will try it with my Max and 5x8 coil.

I never done this test so just wondering what the "standard" test is for something of this nature?

What spacing (inch wise) should the two rusty nails and the silver dime be? Thanks - Jim

dan b said:
Exactly. It's a tough test. My ATPro fails.

That's close to what I had in mind. However, turn those nails 90 degrees and move them closer to the coin. See what happens then, if you don't mind.

Thanks.

Actually, thank you for your assistance in locating the video. I have done tests but not like this one.

wyohunter99 said:
Sorry for ruining your fun Jim!!!

Dan,

I have no video for you, but I took my raised nail and mercury dime setup and change the nails 90 degrees like you asked.
I do have to say this severely challenged the Max in "seeing" the dime. I had to turtle crawl the coil over this setup. I ended (with my 5x8") to get a squeak of a high tone but it was ever so slight. But it was a decent repeatable squeaking high tone. TID #'s jumped in the range of 32, 45, 50. I would definitely investigate. This test made me realize how much is truly masked out in the field. If anyone hunts in heavy nails only to swing at a regular speed, they mine as well stay home. I am truly talking ever so slight movement of the coil hunting in the nails. One really has to be scanning that slow in order to pick up a situation like what you have outlined. Thanks Dan for this suggestion as I truly learned more about the operation of my Max.

AT Max Setup:
5x8" coil
7 bars of sensitivity
Zero iron disc
00 threshold
Zero Mode

dan b said:
That's close to what I had in mind. However, turn those nails 90 degrees and move them closer to the coin. See what happens then, if you don't mind.

Thanks.

I think we all get so caught up in worrying about depth that we forget that it is only one factor in the equation.

Thanks for taking the time to check this.

Exactly. All the easy targets are basically gone. The non-ferrous amongst iron are still hiding.
Most will never scan as slow as what is needed to uncover the goods as this is very tedious. I do devote some hunts to turtle crawling through the iron and have made some nice older coin discoveries.
A ton of patients and not moving much is required.

dan b said:
I think we all get so caught up in worrying about depth that we forget that it is only one factor in the equation.

Thanks for taking the time to check this.

I think this is the 3D test your referring to. Listen to the clear audio, nail-coin-nail. https://youtu.be/onWfB02C4Rc

This detector cost about $250 less than the AT Max in the UK, i think the Max seriously lacks as a relic detector, checkout calabash diggers vids on it, very poor.