Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

ATPro nails a deep colonial copper spill!!!!

Eric in RI

Man oh man, this one goes down in the history books! Let me start off by saying that I hope everyone had a good Christmas holiday. We have been experiencing some record high temps in New England. I managed to get out on Saturday with my buddies Jay and Big D. We met up at 11am at an old dairy farm that my buddies have hit during the week. In 2 trips there, 3 large cents have been found both by Jay and our buddy Ron. I didn't find any large cents or colonial coppers this year and figured maybe I could get lucky and pluck one. Things started off pretty slow. I worked my way to the area where Jay found his 2 large cents and started gridding one section while Jay and Big D. gridded other sections of the area. My only coin find was a 47 nickel. I decided to hit the edges of the area and came across a shallow high tone. Numbers were a bit bouncy, but from 3" I was rewarded with the old suspender clip. I finished gridding the area and started walking thru the woods. About an hour goes by and I met up with Big D. for a break :smoke: He asked where Jay was and I said that I lost him in the woods. We just got ready to :smoke: and Jay appeared from the woods. That guy has a nose for :smoke:

After our break, Jay and I started hunting near the edge of the field close to the road while Big D. hunted the edges of the woods. Jay and I weren't really finding anything so we headed across the street to where we parked which is a conservation land / hiking trails area. We hunted the woods next to the parking lot and crossed over this little brook near an old stone wall. I was hunting behind Jay when he stopped to dig a deep high tone. Turned out he found a wheatie. I continued on my way and found an area that had some activity. I started getting iron chatter 3 ft off the stone wall. I was rocking the 8 x 11 coil today so I decided to slow down my swing speed and see if I could isolate some iffy's. I came across this clean high tone. Numbers were bouncing from 78 - 82. I cut a deep plug with my shovel, ran the pro-pointer in the hole and it barely squeaked. I dug out another few inches of dirt and out popped a large cent! I hollered over to Jay to show him my find. That sucker was every bit of 9" deep. I started wiping some of the dirt away and saw a date of 1698!!!! I took a few different pictures of it, wrapped it inside a leaf and stuck it in my pocket. After digging my oldest dated copper ever, I decided it was time for another break with Jay :smoke: I texted a picture to Big D. but didn't get a reply. We were in a dead zone and there wasn't even a 3G network in sight.

15 minutes later, break time was over and it was time to get swinging again. Jay moved ahead of me about 20 feet and I decided to reswing the area where I found my colonial. I swung the machine a foot away from where I found it and came up with a bouncy deep signal. The numbers were all over the place, but the tone was pretty consistent from both ways. I increased the sensitivity and the numbers started getting closer together. Numbers were 76 - 78. I dug another deep plug, stuck the pro-pointer in and the signal was faint like the last target. I isolated the target which was between 2 rocks. I borrowed Jay's keyhole saw and gently pried under the target to reveal another copper!!!! I yelled over to Jay that I got a spill! He was as shocked as I was. I grabbed another leaf and again wrapped this oldie up and stuck it with the other one. I left the hole open and swung over it again. I heard a blip about a foot away from the last oldie. This one was pegged for depth. I had to increase to max sensitivity to get a somewhat consistent tone. Numbers were bouncing from 65 - 72. I dug another deep plug, stuck the pro-pointer in the hole and it gave a faint chirp. I started pulling out cut rocks and stuck the pro-pointer in the hole again and was able to isolate the target. I stuck my shovel in wide and deep and with the last scoop of dirt, out popped another copper!!!! At this point I was on cloud nine. I was physically and emotionally exhausted. I took the 3 coppers and laid them on a rock to get a halfway decent picture. I rewrapped all the coins in their own individual leaves and stuck them in my pocket. I texted a picture to Big D. and our buddy Ron. Big D. replied back saying that he left a little while ago. I told him he should've stayed lol. I filled in the last 2 holes and figured that was it. I swung around the holes super slow and came up with faint chirp amongst the iron. I was able to pinpoint the target and did a 90 degree turn and swung the other way. It came up as an iron signal in one direction and it came up with a low tone in the other direction. Depth was pegged at 10" I dug another deep plug, stuck the pro-pointer in the hole and heard that familiar faint chirp. I scooped out a few loose rocks and more dirt and out popped a 4th copper!!!! I yelled over to Jay saying you aren't going to believe this. He said, another one?!? I was like yup with a big smile on my face. I covered up the hole and gridded the now 3ft diameter circle where all the coppers came out of. I came up with another low tone that was a little more shallow than the other targets. I dug down to retrieve a small musketball. I dug a few more holes that turned out to be square nails and decided that there were no more coppers to be found. I wrapped the 4th copper in a leaf and stuck it in my pocket with the rest.

We hunted around this stone wall for a few more hours with nothing else to be found. I must've checked my pocket 5 - 6 times, making sure that none of my coppers fell out. When Jay and I got home, I stuck the coppers in olive oil to loosen up some of the dirt. One of them has a real nice green patina, but is pretty worn. I'm going to check their progress in the next few days and hopefully will be able to get them identified. The 1698 copper which is the only dated one thus far is in the best condition. 2 of the coppers are a little thicker than the others, so I'm hoping maybe for a state copper. Funny thing is, my buddy Jay and Big D. both found 5 coppers during the 2015 season. I didn't have any for the season up until that point. I think its safe to say that I'm almost caught up. Before I dug the first one, I mentioned to Jay jokingly that I'm starting to lose faith in my AT Pro because it doesn't like to find coppers. No word of a lie, I said that 5 minutes before I dug them. The AT Pro has redeemed itself and then some! I'm starting to wonder if the 5 x 8 coil would have found the coppers, they were all at a measured 9 - 10" deep. Guess I will never know. All I know is, this was a record breaker for me in so many ways. Most coppers ever dug in a single hunt, most coppers ever dug in a spill, deepest coins ever dug with the AT Pro and oldest dated copper ever. 4 record breakers in 1 hunt. It just goes to show you that the AT Pro will find deep coins if you take the time to investigate those deep signals, slow your swing speed down and really open your ears up. Thanks for viewing my finds and HH :)

Looks like u guys will be going back again, good luck. I've never used an AT Pro but soon will. Question, do u guys use the standard or Pro mode? Thanks

I started in pro mode and loved it. I tried standard and never liked the bell tone. Pro mode was easy to tell depth and I liked tones better. Also it is deeper. Jmo . GS
John(Tx) said:
Question, do u guys use the standard or Pro mode?

Thanks for the info. Have been watching videos n have also determined that Pro mode is the way to go. Thinking about getting the 5x8" coil for water hunting the lakes. Thanks n good luck.