Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

ATX at a worked out dock site

Great video Carter ...

I wish at the beaches I've been scooping at had some small rocks and stones in the sand to keep the targets from sinking 16"+ inches deep. The sand in SoCal is medium to fine grain, the deeper you scoop, the faster the sand caves in.

How deep do you believe you had to scoop for the deeper targets? So the ATX will pick up the lead in the leaded glass?

Bill

I really enjoyed that video. It is rare to see one get those old glass bottles. The video shows clearly, a typical Low High signal, suggesting a silver or copper object, and in your case, you got a silver coin. Your hunt would make for a great article. I have linked you up with the Garrett Webpage for you to consider writing and sending in an article on your hunt. Send lots of high resolution pics of your finds if you can. You may even win an AT Gold. :)

http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby_submit_a_story.aspx

Well done, & nice hunting. I see working in murky waters can make it tougher, but not much wave action that day. It looked like. You just never know what's going to come up.
Great vid.

Hutchinson Stopper, circ: 1879-1915,
Invented by: William H. Hutchinson,
American Patent: April 4, 1879 Number: 213,992
The stoppers use was discontinued because they were not sanitary for refilling the bottles. Dirt/dust would settle in the top while the bottles were on the delivery route and on the shelf. The bottles were recycled, even back at the turn of the century. The pressure of the carbinated beverage kept the stopper in place.

I have learned so much from researching many of the different things I have found. Only one regret .. I found a pile of about 5" long pieces of pipe, left the area (in Manassass, Virginia) and went on my way. Later on I was told they were not pieces of pipe, but were sleeves the CW armies used on the top of their tent poles to keep the wood from splitting and I had walked away from what could have been a gold mine of relics. I do know that at least 2 dozen gold gilded buttons were found a few hundred feet away from the pile. Oh yes, I did go back and the pile was GONE!

Moral of the story: Make sure what you leave behind or toss away IS trash and someone else's TREASURE!

You have to be loning that ATX!

Some of the targets were 12"-18" deep. There was a good amount of mud on top of the rocks in some areas. Even though I previously pounded the place with my CTX, I knew the ATX would hear at least a few missed targets. I was not expecting to dig consistently for 3 hours!

The bottles actually had the metal/rubber stopper that sealed in the liquid. The ATX was picking up the brass piece. Here is a link showing an illustration of the brass/rubber piece
http://www.sha.org/bottle/Finishes/hutchinsonills.jpg

Carter

SoCalBeachScanner said:
Great video Carter ...

I wish at the beaches I've been scooping at had some small rocks and stones in the sand to keep the targets from sinking 16"+ inches deep. The sand in SoCal is medium to fine grain, the deeper you scoop, the faster the sand caves in.

How deep do you believe you had to scoop for the deeper targets? So the ATX will pick up the lead in the leaded glass?

Bill

I'm glad you liked the video and thanks for the link.

One thing I noticed with the ATX regarding High-Low vs Low-High signals, the "cut off" or should I say the point where the signal changes from High-Low to Low-High, seems to be up there on the scale. I was hearing 3 oz lead sinkers and wheat back pennies as High-Low signals. Only large pieces of brass and the silver quarter read Low-High.

We're still frozen up here in the NE but I should be down in VA next month and my guess is Eagle buttons will sound the same as Bullets (High-Low). With my TDI Pro, Iron and bullets sound the same (low tone) with Eagle buttons and other low conductive targets giving a high tone. I am curious to see how the ATX will read nails at depth (Low-High or High-Low).

Carter

John-Edmonton said:
I really enjoyed that video. It is rare to see one get those old glass bottles. The video shows clearly, a typical Low High signal, suggesting a silver or copper object, and in your case, you got a silver coin. Your hunt would make for a great article. I have linked you up with the Garrett Webpage for you to consider writing and sending in an article on your hunt. Send lots of high resolution pics of your finds if you can. You may even win an AT Gold. :)

http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby_submit_a_story.aspx

Thanks for the info Carter ...

With all that mud, I would assume that you were in a saltwater back bay, cove, or harbor?

It did look like at least one bottle that you scooped didn't have a stopper. I know a lot of old lead glass had a good amount of lead in it, so it wouldn't surprise me if the ATX could sound on some types of lead glass.

Muscling out those deep target do take a toll on a scoop. I see that you may have tweaked your scoop a bit.

Bill

Bill, you are correct, it was a salt water cove area.

All the bottles had the metal/rubber stoppers but one of the bottles had it pushed down inside the bottle instead of in the neck where they're supposed to be mounted.

I was able to take a 3lbs mallet and get it back into shape!

Carter

SoCalBeachScanner said:
Thanks for the info Carter ...

With all that mud, I would assume that you were in a saltwater back bay, cove, or harbor?

It did look like at least one bottle that you scooped didn't have a stopper. I know a lot of old lead glass had a good amount of lead in it, so it wouldn't surprise me if the ATX could sound on some types of lead glass.

Muscling out those deep target do take a toll on a scoop. I see that you may have tweaked your scoop a bit.

Bill

Enjoyable Video...Thanks!

Your seemingly casual efforts in that rocky muck put all my wet sand complaining to shame. Heck of a complaint ... when we say targets are too deep!

My hearing is OK and I think my brain is similarly OK but for the life of me I am struggling so very hard to get the difference between hi-lo and lo-hi. Sometimes I can and then confusion hits and my brain reverses. Anybody else have that trouble?

Joe (California)

I know what you mean Joe ... when I first started using the ATX the high/lows & low/highs seemed to elude me. Then after a couple weeks of scooping different types of targets, the sounds came into play for some reason.

It must be an old guy thing ... But I hear they have meds for that problem :)