Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

ATX Extension Rods

unearth

I got my ATX about a month ago and am very pleased with it. I have a question about the extension rods. First, none of the extensions are "round". Is there a reason for this, or is this just how the machine is made? Second, the lowest locking unit, for the lowest extension, doesn't seem to move as freely as the first and second locking unit. After using the ATX at the beach, I have to put in a lot more effort getting the lowest locking unit to loosen up. Does anybody else have this problem with the lowest lock? Is there anything that can be put on the rod extensions that may help them glide more easily?

Watch the ATX cleaning and use videos on the Garrett website and follow their cleaning instructions after EVERY water or beack hunt.
Shafts have two fats to keep them aligned by design.
Search Garrett ATX forum for my pervious postings. Ther is a wealth of information to be found on the ATX if you look back to the forums begining...a lot of reading that will make the use of theATX more enjoyable for you.

Thanks WaterWalker. I did watch some videos, and I did see the video on how to take apart the ATX to clean the shafts. I need to get the tool to take apart the cam locks. I was interested if anyone had the same experience that I'm having with the lower cam lock? It is really much harder to twist than the first two. Also, if there is a video showing a solution to help the shafts slide better, I didn't see it. And is there a reason for the rods not being "round"? I will check out more videos on the ATX.
Again, thanks for your reply.
WaterWalker said:
Watch the ATX cleaning and use videos on the Garrett website and follow their cleaning instructions after EVERY water or beack hunt.
Shafts have two fats to keep them aligned by design.
Search Garrett ATX forum for my pervious postings. Ther is a wealth of information to be found on the ATX if you look back to the forums begining...a lot of reading that will make the use of theATX more enjoyable for you.

I just got mine... The Top One is my stiffest but they do all loosen fine... I am still nervous about twisting them the wrong way and overtighting them LOL... But outside of my own user insecurities I feel everything is normal. Frankly I believe over time and more use things will naturally loosen up a bit and I wouldn't want to speed that process up any, so I am thinking as long as you keep everything clean and clear of grit and grime, I would just leave things be LOL

While waiting for my third set of shafts, I used PC7 (or PC11 - black or white) to build up the shafts and
small black friction pads to keep the camlocks working. I have about 23 hours in the water with the repaired
cams. All is holding OK for now. A new set of shaft section was about $230. WITHOUT the smallest shaft
because the coil is attached to it and not sold separately. It is all a driving factor to keep the camlocks CLEAN!

I have found it best to hold the shaft section the camlock is attached to while tightening and loosening the
camlocks...this prevents the small detente and the lever on the control box from being forced apart. If necessary
I have used the rubber strap pliers one the the camlock and the other on the shaft section closer to the control
box to loosen the camlock. See my early posts under ATX for their use and other tips.

Well since we are already on the cam lock shaft topic, I thought I'd throw this one out here instead of starting a new thread. So after cleaning everything (wiping down) I went to push all three sections of shafts back in (cam locks were all loosened correctly) and for some reason the shaft that is connected to the coil wouldn't go all of the way in. I started all over a few times and somehow it eventually went in normally without any problem. Not sure why and not sure exactly what I did to fix it LOL... Ever have that happen to you?

Desert Detective said:
Well since we are already on the cam lock shaft topic, I thought I'd throw this one out here instead of starting a new thread. So after cleaning everything (wiping down) I went to push all three sections of shafts back in (cam locks were all loosened correctly) and for some reason the shaft that is connected to the coil wouldn't go all of the way in. I started all over a few times and somehow it eventually went in normally without any problem. Not sure why and not sure exactly what I did to fix it LOL... Ever have that happen to you?

Yes, I've had that problem also. I'm not sure why...maybe the cable inside the shaft is bunching up some how??

That is exactly what I had assumed as it eventually went in with no problems again.

The coil getting pinched on a shaft's sharp edge can actually cut or nick the coil covering. Eventually letting water into the cable.
Things will go downhill from there. It all starts with the initial connecting of the coil to the control box. If the shaft sections "hang up"
disconnect the screw on connector, twist it a couple of times and try it again. I can not tell you which way to turn it, it will be
a hit or miss as it would depend on how far the cable was stretched and if the coil was twisted on the initial installation.
At any rate. when properly assembled all the shaft sections should slide together nicely. Never force them together.
The things we have to learn to enjoy a wonderful detector, let alone the care we must take with it.