Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

ATX Finds It's First Silver Coin in Dry Hard Packed Sand

-
YESTERDAY afternoon I met up with a forum member DrJoePrime to show me the ropes on using a PI machine in the surf at Long Beach, CA. This was my first go of the ATX in the surf line as the tide was going out. That mineralized sand down in the surf line in Long Beach is like road tar mixed with concrete. Not fun with a swing type scoop, although my scoop would work better in the soft sand in Huntington Beach. Time for me to invest in a good step-on scoop.

Nothing special was found with the ATX yesterday afternoon; just couple pennies, bits and pieces of pull tabs, lead sinkers, deep cans or iron that would sound with the coil one foot off the sand after making a scoop or two, and bits and pieces of metal.

TODAY 12/06/13
This morning for 1.5 hours, I went to back to Long Beach to one of the areas I suspected older coins might be found in the hard packed moist sand.

I haven't played with the discrimination on the ATX yet, so I was scooping everything. I scooped about 25-30 holes, some deep some shallow and found a 1941 Mercury Dime & a Buffalo Nickel that I can't read the date down between 10"-12" (estimate) in the hard packed moist sand.

Of the items that I brought home is a small rusted padlock and a iron bottle shaped thing with a red stripe on it.

I also had to scoop a couple bobby pins, bits and pieces of pull tabs, small pieces of rusted sheet metal, couple nails, old rusted steel bottle caps, street sweeper metal brush blade, 4" long x 1/2" wide iron flat rod. I feel like I'm relic hunting instead of beach hunting.

The Iron Check on the ATX will sound a faint grunt on bobby pins less then 3" down, and will sound on totally rusted bottle tops at about 5", but not on un-rusted caps.

It is way to difficult to use a swing type scoop to dig deep, so a step-on scoop will be on my must have list.

Yea; good report there...I might make me a trip down there cause its 7 degrees here...the beach would be nice!

BK