Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

ATX on the way hope to use it at beach next week

Jason in TN

Any one who has done some beach hunting with it would appreciate any tips. I ordered one today should be here by end of week.

Use the enclosed shoulder strap..it's a heavy beast!

Make sure you have a good heavy duty step on scoop..it's a deep machine.

Practise on the beach with coins and jewelery to speed up the learning process.

Low-high versus high-low is something to get used to. Took me a while.

On a coin spill reduce the sensitivity way down otherwise all you get is a huge overload signal and gets very confusing.

I don't think this is the right machine for us old timers...way, way too heavy..BUT it sure goes deep (and then we got to dig it out!)

Joe (California)

Joe it's know that bad in the water. But you will hunt a lot slower in the water and you will give up on sum targets because they are to dam deep.

Thanks for the info so far have the minelab harness so will take it along. Must be heavy have read that in several places. Now we need Garret to come out with a small DD coil.

Jason

I will be using mine mostly in the water off South Florida beaches. Any tips i should be aware of such as ground balancing etc?

Barry

bn81159 said:
I will be using mine mostly in the water off South Florida beaches. Any tips i should be aware of such as ground balancing etc?

Barry

Hi Berry,

Best tip would be, just turn it on with a factory reset, and go.

If your near power lines or transformers, perform the frequency scan.

If you can't hear a slight hum of the threshold, bump it up a little.

If it's quiet while scanning, bump up the sensitivity as much as you can and still run quiet

If you hear whining as you swing, you may need to ground balance some (ground balance kills depth).

Dig everything to get use to all the different sounds (high/lows, low/highs, tinny, twang, solid, double tone).

Use Iron Check, especially on double tones

If you want to go very deep, scan slower, look and listen for faint 1-2 lit LED's.

Good quality sand scoop

Eat a good breakfast and have fun :)

Thanks for the info so far have been watching videos and reading a lot. That from what I have read is great info. Not a lot of beach info on the ATX out yet. Seems like the ATX over all is pretty simple.

Sorry Jason ... I posted my last note to Berry thinking he started this thread.

Your right, overall the ATX is a very simple machine to use. The factory default settings is a really good starting point. I try to run it as wide open as possible (little or no ground balance, NO discrimination, and the sensitivity as high as possible). You will learn in time with the subtleties of the tones to lower your trash count.

Just remember this when your scooping a target in the wet sand. The Iron Check only sounds down 3"-4". So after the hole goes silent from scooping, spread the sand out you just scooped with your foot and run the iron check over the sand you just spread out. This will save you a lot of time and frustration. You can just move on if you hear the Iron Check growl without having to look for a hair pin, nail, screw, or wire.

Not a problem thanks for the info. Will let you know how it goes got a good VLF detector for the beach too in case it get to ruff. Your thoughts do you think you get more gold hunting with the PI detector.

Jason in TN said:
Not a problem thanks for the info. Will let you know how it goes got a good VLF detector for the beach too in case it get to ruff. Your thoughts do you think you get more gold hunting with the PI detector.

You will definitely get more gold rings and jewelry hunting in the wet sand and water with a PI machine, Period!
The last couple of months I have been using my VLF almost exclusively in dry and damp sand. I pulled something in my swing arm elbow from a three hour water hunt with my ATX a while back. The ATX has a lot of drag swinging it in two feet or more of water and I didn't have the harness on at the time.

Even though I did find a 18k gold ring today with my VLF in dry sand, my gold count is way, way down not using my ATX in the wet sand & water. With the weather warming up here in SoCal, people will be out of school and on vacation soon stacked up on the beach, so I will get the ATX back into action.

Or use disc all the way up to check for iron or low conductive target. Works just like the Infinium's iron check and goes deeper than ATX iron check.

BK

Thanks will give it a shot had some car trouble and had to cut trip short so only got about 6hrs in wit the ATX could not get it to run smooth with out ground balancing turns sensitivity down to about 8 still a no go. With it balanced to salt could run wide open but I am sure I was loosing depth. Will get back and try it again soon.

Jason