Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

ATX question for you John

Diggin-it

I live in Southwestern Lower Michigan and have considered getting an ATX, but since Lake Michigan is freshwater I've been warned to stay clear of PI machines. You're even further North and work freshwater with the ATX. Would you recommend an ATX for Lake Michigan hunting? I know our inland lakes are way to trashy, but would really like some nice depth in the big lake. I live in a tourist town with 8 public beaches on Lake MI. Problem is its all sand here and rings go deep quickly, very quickly. I've done fairly well in the past with my AT-Pro's but they just don't have the depth I need. Suggestions/Advice?

Diggin-it question: what were the reasons given for avoiding a PI machine in fresh water? I have a PI and am curious, Thanks.

I've started hunting with the ATX after selling my Pro. While I'm on salt water beaches I think the same things occur. The ATX is not as easy to use as the Pro, to me at least in that I find I pretty much have to dig everything as the iron discrimination isn't near as good as on the Pro, but that's a PI. I am getting deeper however. I don't really mind digging more as that way I am comfortable I am getting everything out of the ground and not leaving something good that I would have not dug. I'm sure that as I use it more I will figure out the signals but I just don't use it enough right now. It is a great machine however and I don't regret using it over the Pro. But then again I did keep my AT Gold.

doc holiday said:
Diggin-it question: what were the reasons given for avoiding a PI machine in fresh water? I have a PI and am curious, Thanks.

I was told by a local dealer that there is just to much iron/trash in the lake, that it will drive me crazy constantly going off. This was before the ATX come out though, have not inquired since. Alot of ppl use Excals, I'm hoping to get deeper.

I hunt fresh water lakes and use both the ATX and the Excal 2. They both have their place. If a lake has a lot of iron trash or if targets cannot sink deep, and you're searching for recent drops, your best bet is a VLF machine. The Excal 2 will knock out most small iron trash even at the lowest discrimination setting. Now, if a lake has few trash targets and especially if the bottom is soft and targets can go deep, that's when you want to have your PI machine. I've been finding good targets with the ATX in small swimming areas that are heavily hunted by others and those targets are usually very deep. Always concentrate on any soft area where you sink into the sand or mud. That's where the ATX really gives you the edge. You'll want to have a big scoop. Good Luck.

I would have to say this....if most of your iron trash is in closer to the shoreline, and begins to dissipate as you venture farther out, the ATX should work well for you. If it's just a constant plethura of trash for miles out, then the ATX might not be my first choice. But, it should work well in smaller inland lakes where people also swim in hoards and lose rings. I have my best results in swimming areas pounded to death by the other guys, leaving little junk and some great remaining targets.

Most water hunters tend to dig most targets, with the exception of irritaters like bobby pins. Yet, using the ATX allows you to id bobby pins as such and leave them alone......your choice! My goofy pig below is full of wisdom.

It's funny you bring that up. There must have been a good defense for VLF detectors when some PI's started hitting the market, probably due to a fear of decreasing sales. I too have been asked why a PI for freshwater hunts. I bought a used Sea Hunter, the a used Infinium, and had one of my best ring years ever. My buddy also purchased a PI and he got similar results. If you want to dig as few targets as possible, crank up your disc on a vlf and you will get the least amount of good targets.

The trash in our area of Lake Michigan does seem to be closer to shore, that or its deeper out further and the AT-Pro is not seeing it. The sand is deep, no rocks or hard pack so objects sink quickly out of sight of the more limited depth of the AT-Pro.

I presume with not too much wave action, the finds slowly sink. Here, I find quarters at 10" that were lost at least a year ago. And of course, sometimes the sand shifts and more surprises show up. I usually use the AT Pro in the shallows where all the trash is, using some discrimination to get rid of the iron. Once I get in the deeper water, especially in the troughs, I use a PI.