Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

atx v infinium

mikzz

although the atx has a lot of good features that are a great improvement on the finny my question is, does the atx get much greater depth and can if find smaller nuggets?
I have only seen videos showing the atx finding 1.6gm nugget, but I pretty sure my finny with a 8"mono could find that. I would like to see a side by side comparison, if any of the video experts could produce one that would be interesting to see
cheers all mikzz

I can not speak to nuggets, but in the salt water I am digging deeper targets with the ATX than I did with the Infinium.
I have been using the Infinium for 6 years 300-400 hours a year in the water. I have only been out with the ATX a dozen times, maybe 30 hours in the salt water.
I can not give you inches, but a size 3, 1.3g broken shank wedding band, IMO, would not have been heard by the Infinium. That goes for a few silver coin.
My Infinium has move to back-up status. It will probably stay there unless the ATX disappoints me as I learn its idiosyncrasies.

Mono 8" is my standard coil on the Infinium during the winter months...more rocks harder detecting.
Standard DD on the ATX.
All water detecting.
After Saturday's hunt it will be hard for me to go back to the Infinium. I had detected a small area 7 times with the Infinium, took the ATX to see what I and two other detectorists had missed...I am still working on cleaning the rings and writing up the story...My best day in 5 years! Also I am digging deeper for trash items also, I have not and did not expect to get over the learning curve in 20 hours on the ATX...
I wish I could do a comparison on nuggets, but there just are not many or any here in MA. I know gold has been found in very state, but I have a hard time calling flakes "gold". I do enjoy the little flakes in a bottle my wife and I panned for while in Alaska.

Had my first hands on look at an ATX a couple of days ago.

Had a look at the ATX and was suprised that it was not as chunky as I had imagined it to be. The coil mounting method is as has been decribed and is nothing short of pathetic. The weight did not seem too be heavy for me and it is quite well balanced. If you have not done much detecting then it might feel heavy maybe, I dunno? maybe those who think it is heavy are just a bunch of namby pambies. :ausflag::biggrin:
I will try one out in a week or there abouts for 70 dollars a day hire.:cheers: I will try it at the beach and in some seriously hot and magnetic ground

This vid gives an idea of how the ATX performs with the 20 inch mono.
Starts at about 3:17

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcFmnScA-6c

OK Here are my first hands on impressions of the ATX.

Might not be what you expected.......And definitely not what I was expecting..

The ground iron mineral conditions were extreme and probably worse that many of our gold fields....So, maybe it was an unfair test.

I was not able to take the ATX to the beach this time.

The detector is not as bulky as I had imagined it to be but it is an overkill for what it is and the control box and entire set up could have been reduced to something like the Infinium or a more conventional detector lay out and still be rugged and waterproof.
It is compact when folded and stowed away.
The detector runs a smooth clean threshold while over mild iron mineralisation and salt conditions.

I tested the ATX in extremely tough iron mineralised ground and will admit now that I was very disappointed with the machines ability in this particular area which was not easy for me to get to, due mainly to my crappy knees, crook back and being totally out of condition and the day being hot and muggy. So by the time I arrived there I was not in any mood for a poor performing metal detector. The place is easy to get to for fit folk and is only approx 1.5 kays from a picnic ground, but for me now, it is a tad tough.

I actually ran out of puff at about the half way mark (Up the hill) so that is where I tried the detector. The ground was rough, rocky with enough iron in a square meter to build several Titanics.

Turned her on in the factory preset mode and proceeded to do a ground balance, there was zero EMI. Bounced the coil until the threshold settled down.I began to sweep. Well away she went like a donkey on a barbie hot plate, GBd again and again but the ground was simply too variable for the detector to keep up. Tried all of the tracking speeds, all levels of sensitivity and even dialed in a bit of discrimination like I sometimes have to do with the Infinium