Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

ATX Wishes

lytle78

I think that probably anyone who has used the ATX on land realizes that for "non-combat" dry land operations, the whole armadillo thing is way overkill. By the way, does the "A" in ATX just stand for "Armadillo" - just askin' 'cause I grew up in South Texas.

But what to do? Why would Garrett spend a bundle to develop a land only version - only to undercut the sales of the ATX at a lower price point? Doesn't make much sense. On the other hand, the accessory coils cost a huge amount because they are built like Queen Victoria's sewer pipes!

I have a modest proposal. Give us a series of elliptical mono coils for prospecting use. A nice 6 or 7" , a 10" and a 14". Make these to fit either a light rod with the ATX hip or chest mounted, or give is a light stem assembly of "non armadillo" type similar to what Paul (CA) has developed.

They can have their cake and eat it too. No new $1500 land detector now, to cut into the sales of the $2000 or so ATX, and lots of lovely aftermarket coil sales.

Also, by the way, the sling doesn't work worth a darn for me. I am 5'11" and slim. The part that goes under my arm cuts off circulation in two minutes. The bit that goes across my shoulders and neck has an unpadded connection right where it bites into my scrawny neck. I just bought a ML Pro-Swing harness which should do just fine.

Just so nobody gets the wrong idea, I love my ATX and am very excited about the new possibilities it offers.

I like your thinking Rick ... I'll take one of those versions for the surf. Just need to add one smaller DD Coil. And... instead of an Armadillo strapped to your chest or hip, a contoured carbon fiber black box hung on you would feel like a walk in the park.

With the current unit, the bungee sling works great for me, unless I'm hurting more in other areas that I don't notice cut offs in circulation from the sling.

And I too love how the ATX works ... even today it found me a silver ring and a encased stack of coins.

I have used the sling only once. It was OK, but the next day the top of my shoulder that the strap went across was a bit sore. The pad kept slipping off the shoulder area.
Please let us know how the 45 sling works for you. I have not seen a report on one yet, I have not looked on the ML forum either.
I also am in love with the ATX and find it a much improved detector over the my 6 year old Infinium. It has its shortcoming and I pray Garrett will address some of the issues, especially the cam locks jamming by salt and fresh water silt.

For the past 5 years or so, I had been calling and pleading with Garrett to please produce a metal detector using the Recon Pro platform. I was intrigued with the telescopic set-up, the green military color and the military standards to which it had to be built on. I didn't care if it was an ACE Series, an AT Series or a Infinium Series. My calling was finally answered with a Recon Pro exoskeleton and an Infinium on steroids type design. I have also used an Infinium with great success for many years. I really welcomed this new product. Sure....it's a little heavy, has a large lower rod, but anything else deviating too far would turn it into something else, much to my dismay. Sure, there are some warts to it, all metal detectors do. And if it is indeed build tough like an armadillo, so be it! It should last a very long time! :)

-
Maybe you could have pushed FFF (Fit, Form, & Function) with Garrett instead of Military Standards. Then we all could have had a Lean Mean Finding Machine instead of a Texas Speedbump (armadillo).

Horses for courses.

When it's 95 degrees on the 15 th of April in AZ, you want a Roadrunner, not an Armadillo. If Garrett moves fast, they can kill in the world-wide market with a slim, light PI detector with a selection of DD and Mono coils. Give me one for $1500 and I promise to sell it door-to-door!

Yep what John said...

The missing coil for the ATX is a 10x12" mono coil just like the stock DD. That would close the depth advantage with the Minelab's from my test with the 8" mono. That little 8" mono will go DEEEEEEP. A 10X12" MONO would be awesome!
The ATX was made for gold prospecting...can be used for relic hunting, water hunting...so those of you who bought it primarily for water just have to deal with the cam lock thing I believe.