Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Audio modulation on NOX

Capreo

I've used a CTX for the past 3 years with great results. However the weight is starting to take its toll. I'm thinking of jumping over to the NOX . My main concern is the audio modulation feature of the equinox. Is it pretty good on the NOX? with the CTX I mostly hunt open screen using tones only, and using audio modulation to gauge how deep the object is. In many cases I've have had great success pulling some old deep coins using this method, especially in trashy areas. ignoring all the louder tones and going for the whispers. . but before i jump to the NOX just wanted some feedback (especially from former ctx users) on how well modulation works on the NOX

In my opinion, the NOX is not quite as well modulated as the CTX. (...particularly on 'mid-depth' targets.)

BUT, I think it's perfectly usable, and you can easily adapt to it.
You've still got deep signal clues....they're just not in the same 'format'.

There's always going to be a fine balance (a trade-off) between hearing a strong signal at depth, and simply missing it entirely.
Those faint/fringe signals are still there, just different from the CTX.

If you take the time and effort to learn it's language, I think you'll do fine with the NOX. :thumbup:

mike

Let’s put it this way...for the first 120 hours with the EQX I wanted to wrap it around a post...couldn’t find squat. I was using it in areas I’ve decimated with other machines such as the aforementioned CTX, so that wasn’t all that fair. When I got the settings right, learned how iron “faded out” compared to a reliable deep repeater and got into some places with targets....we get along OK now. I will say that it’s not really my primary “deep coin hunter”...but in places with really thick conductive trash it’s great for running in fast recovery and picking out high conductors. I’m sure it’s good for other things too, so it’s another tool for your toolbox. I feel perfectly confident that I’ll find something running the EQX when the other machines get heavy, we’ve all been there in some way I think. I can recommend it.:thumbup:

I totally agree with Mike/trojdor about the modulation on the EQX; since you don't have the ability to adjust modulation on the Equinox, as you did with the CTX, E-Trac, and Explorers, you kind of have to "accept" what you are given by the manufacturer. And what we are "given," by Minelab, with the Equinox, is that the "deep targets soft, shallow targets loud" characteristic on the Equinox is not quite as pronounced as I would like. I agree with Mike, that it's especially the case through mid depths. Once you get down to the REALLLY deep targets, the audio is definitely softer, and you will -- as Mike said -- learn over time what a "deep target" sounds like.

In other words, what you are asking IS do-able, on the Equinox (i.e. to "hunt deep" by sound). But, the decrease in tone volume with depth, is not quite the way I'd prefer; it's not as "linear" as I would like. What I mean by "linear," is that when I ran the Explorer, I ran my "audio gain" at 7 (audio gain being the "modulation" adjustment" on the Explorer). At that setting, it was perfect in my opinion; there was a "linear" decrease in the softness of the tone, with depth...i.e., a shallow coin was loud, a mid-depth coin was progressively softer, and the real deep coins were very soft, distinctive tones. SO, you could glean a TON of information about the depth of a coin-sized target, just by listening. You never even had to look at the depth gauge; the "linear decrease" in tonal volume, with depth, was terrific.

Along those lines, I would not say that you can do this "as well" on the Equinox. It's more "subtle," and less linear. But, the clues are there -- ESPECIALLY on the very deep targets. So, if you are just wanting to listen for the "deep ones," you CAN do that, with the Equinox; I think, in time, you will learn the audio enough to be able to do what you want to do, Capreo…

Steve

I will tellmyounsomething else because you mentioned it. You said the weight of the CTX is getting to you. The Equinox out of the box is terrible for swinging. Every hunter I know has invested in a third party shaft or had to make some weight adjustment.

Thanks for all the advice . Much appreciated! I think I'm going to give the NOX a try. Just hope I'm not disappointed having used the CTX several years now, which is such a great machine.

Every machine has it's problems I've learned to adapt to the Nox very well you have to listen for those deep one way targets I dig them and find lots of silver in fact over 225 coins in 2019!
Mark