Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

:ausflag:School Hunting.

nugget

Hi all, I went to the principals office after dropping off my 6 & 5yr olds at school. I asked for permission to detect after hours and weekends and was given an official letter to produce if needed. The school has stepped up security after hrs due to graffiti and vandals so I might get asked by security what I'm doing there. I then had a brain wave, I'll take the letter with me to other schools in my area and ask for permission to detect there also. I have given assurance to detail finds of jewelery for the principal, who will contact me if specific details are provided by the loser of the items, then and only then will I hand it over. I'll promote the hobby and maybe get a little reward in the process. HH regards Nugget.:detecting:

Good luck with your school hunts Nugget.
While the bark chipped areas do make easy pickings, don't overlook the lawn. Barked chipped areas only account for about a quarter of my totals at schools. That's the main place that fence jumpers go to. Find the areas' where they eat lunch and I've been told by students, that there are plenty of coins in the drains.
Some ovals are worth hunting, and some are not.
Mick Evans.

Hey Guys, I done my first school hunt today. I was blown away by the coins I got. $37.57c and an English 20 pence dated 1982 and a couple of nick Knacks. This is a small school with no kids over grade 7. I'm definately going to do the rounds of the other school principals and hope for the best. I will consider carefully about detecting the grassed areas Mick. I ran into old Les down at Burleigh Heads last week, still detecting. I'd been there for about 5 hrs when he arrived and had only found an old .925 ring plus around $15 in coin. Within 5 minutes of turning on he found an 18ct Gold wedding band felt like about 2 to 2 1/2 grams and a nice .925 about the same weight. So I went to the Broadwater swimming enclosure and wet suited up, I got 3 rings, 1 a black anadised stainless steel spinner ring with a nice pattern on it, 1 .375 gold ring with an anchor on it and a cross on one side and a love heart on the other side of the anchor, the last one gave me a heart starter when I first spied it in the scoop, it's Yellow gold plated shank, plated white gold setting, with a CZ or similar of about 2 1/2 to 3 carats plus a small baguette each side of the main stone set into the shank. My hands started shaking and all. Best news my wife said I can start teaching her how to detect now both kids are at school YEE HAA. HH fellas, regards Robert.:twodetecting:

Having the wife interested will be a big help Rob.:thumbup: Having success at school is great. You should get permission about 50% of the time at least. Something that may be helpful in gaining access, would be to offer to look for needles in the bark chipped areas if your detector will pick them up (check to see if it can first). When I was hunting at one school, I was approached by a security guard (who turned out to be the school handyman during the week) and after a conversation, he revealed to me, that the school staff are quite worried about loose drug paraphernalia like needles hidden in the chips.
It's good to hear about Les, although I hadn't met him, I seemed to learn a bit about him through the lady I met. Sounds like he upstaged you.:lol: In the 2 weeks that I was there back in the first half of October, I only pulled out $48 from the beach over 8 hunts,some of those hunts were around 5 hours. Most of that, was on the first 2 nights. I hunted from the water line, back, even near the footpath. I know you aren't keen on grass hunting, but I seemed to do just as well on the cycleway/park just to the north of the beach, where a market site exists. It ends just a few metres north of the rowing equipment that is located next to the cycleway. The store holders set up in 2 and at spots, 3 rows along side the pathway. the ground seems pretty nasty though, with black soil and quartz present in the ground. I pulled out as much coinage there as I did on the beach in the first couple of nights. You might want to use a machine with visual discrimination there, as the is a fair amount of trash in the ground too. Don't waste time on the park behind the beach though, as I got skunked there.
Good luck.
Mick Evans.

Hi Mick, I'll eventually upgrade to the Explorer SE for hunting the grassed areas, and when on callouts searching for specific items. Upon cleaning up the coins I found last night I got another shock, my first ever Irish coin! dated 1966, I'll try to get a photo uploaded soon. That makes 23 foriegn coins in the last 8 weeks. I just got home from a hunt of a couple of parks, pretty lousy night $5.65c and a toy car in as new condition, me little man will love it. All the best Mick, HH regards Robert.:detecting:

I love when you get surprises like that. That's what makes the hobby so interesting.
A piece of advice for when you get the Explorer. I own an old XS, but the same applies to the newer models. Train your EARS to hear the differences in the tones. While the display is often raved about, it is often incorrect. In ideal situations, it will be perfect, but if you spend time training your ear on coins and then other targets, like screw caps, then you start to hear a distinct difference with some practice. I almost sold mine a few weeks back, but once I learned to trust my ears over the TID, I'll never look back. The Se's recovery speed is a lot faster than the XS's. There is only a slight delay on the digital screen after you pass over a target.
Mick Evans.
P.S. I played around with the settings on it till I got what I felt to be the best audio responce out of it.

Great job on getting the better half interested in the hobby...It is great to have a partner you can trust...If I could only get mine interested...we Both could use the excersise... I made her angry with the hobby by selling the detector she first bought me for Christmas in 2005....it was a bad move on my part, but I tried to convince her that I meant no disrespect or anything, and I thought that she would be happy that she turned me onto such a great hobby...I only wanted to make it more enjoyable for myself....Suffice it to say, it did not go over well...it is gonna take me taking her out with me and tricking her into finding something old that I am going to probably have to plant...heheheh....that might get her back in the game again...

HH,

BH-LandStar

Sounds like a plan BH, I might "salt" some goodies for my wife too, great idea! HH regards Nugget.:detecting: