Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Australian coins

Kiwi

Hi can anyone from across the ditch (Australia) please tell me when the last "Commonwealth of Australia" were minted, have been out today and dug up a 1922 penny & a 1919 halfpenny, plus a few decimal coins as well.

Other coins I found today were a Fiji 5c and a USA 1 cent 1984, several early English pennies 1912,1928,1930,1936

Numerous .303 shells, gave up digging them as there were so many, a school badge, and a 'Rolls Royce' matchbox model car

Also quite a few coins of the local currency both pre-decimal & deimal, the best being a 1933 Florin (in very good condition)

Cheers from downunder
Noel

this site will tell u when they where made how many and what they were worth in aus currency, looks like your florin is worth 25- 65 aus dollars, any chance u could post a pic of the coins? :) hope it help

aussie coins

Thanks for that site about the Australian coins, I have scanned the coins & some of the other finds :detecting:
Gave them a light scrub to remove the dirt, the copper ones don't seem to fare too well in that soil

Kiwi,
Reading your post alarmed me where you said Quote " I gave them a light scrub "
Unless you are positive the coin has no value don't touch it at all.
There are some great sites and coin dealer advice on handling your coins.
I think there is some great advice logged in this forum for cleaning.
This clever mob :rofl: will soon post the sites or the area to look in this forum
All the best Kiwi.
happy hunting
gold rat

Thanks for the advise gold rat, the "light scrubbing" was with a tooth brush, after soaking in water for a while just to remove the soil that was still sticking to the coin.

The soil is peat based so is very hard on some of the coins such as the pennies and also the 50 cent piece (lower left) the old silver such as the florin at the top came out of the ground really clean.

Hope to carry on next weekend in the same area

cheers
Kiwi