Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Australian Silver...

Blind Squirrel

Howdy--

I finally had the chance to get out and swing the V3i. It's been over 2 weeks since my last hunt. That's waaay too long between hunts. I went back to that vacant lot where I dug the 1932 Texas Chauffeur License and several silver coins. Two large piles of dirt had recently been spread on this lot in preparation to make it a parking lot. GREAT...some new dirt to hunt! I was using my 6x10 coil and my first signal was a solid 85 VDI @ 4". I was really surprised to see this portion of a coin bracelet. The Australian coins are: 1943 3 Pence, 1942 6 Pence, 1943 Shilling and the heart was fashioned from a 1943 Florine. One side of the Florine had been smoothed and etched on it "44 New Guinea". I'm guessing that it was owned by a WW2 veteran who spent time there. My next finds were a 1937-D Merc, a couple Oklahoma "For Old Age" tax tokens, a play coin and a few wheat cents. My favorite find was my last signal of the day - a 1935 Texas Chauffeur License. That's the second Chauffeur License that I dug on this lot. It was a good day and great to get out swinging that coil again! Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Good finds....Blind Squirrel!! save some for me.

Thanks Shafer44! There is PLENTY left for you. Just don't be afraid to re-hunt those "hunted out" sites and keep looking for new ones! Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

that's a real piece of Aussie history you have there , if you want to sell it give me a PM and a price , I live here never found anything like that, if you wish to part with it let me know I would donate it to the Australian war museum , New Guinea also has a place in my heart. coins are not rare guess its called trench art just never seen one like that.

if not no problems :biggrin:

AJ

Thanks amberjack. I'll have to give your offer some thought. As a Hospice volunteer, I have met several WW2 veterans who have served in the south Pacific and spent time in New Guinea. As you can imagine, when I show them (and the veterans of other theaters) relics and other military items that I've dug it brings back memories and often elicits a smile. They ALWAYS stimulate conversation which is one of my goals.

I believe that the bracelets were sold on base because about 10 years ago I dug just the 1943 Florin that had been fashioned into a heart like the one in the bracelet. The other was lacking the engraving though. I'll keep your offer in the back of my mind. Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

thanks Blind Squirrel that's some interesting information about them being made there.

good work your doing and you must hear some real interesting stories, its sad that anyone has to see what people in wars have to see,

keep up the good work !!

AJ