Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Authentic Silver Plated Bugle Mouthpiece?

bassooneroo

Hi all,
First things first, here's your disclaimer that I'm a newbie posting from a hotel room late at night.
Second, I come to you because I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to Civil War artifacts.
Here's the question:
Yesterday, I bought a silver plated bugle mouthpiece from a trustworthy shop in Gettysburg that sells artifacts from the Civil War. Most of their artifacts are documented, but this mouthpiece was not and thus listed for only a couple bucks. The women who own the shop couldn't tell me where it was found or verify that it was definitely 1800s, but the man trying to sell it was an established civil war artifact collector trying to sell his Gettysburg artifacts before he dies of cancer. The women told me that his past record inidcated it was authentic, but it was also very possible that it wasn't actually 1800s or from Gettysburg.
Now, I bought it interested in the mystery behind it, and understand that it can never really be authenticated. However, I've come to you hoping somebody with knowledge of Civil War artifacts could point out any immediate indicators that it isn't authentic or note any reason it may actually be (for example: is it a manufacturer that was popular then?)
Anything would be helpful at this point!
Here are the details:
(presuming I trust that this is really a silver plated bugle mouthpiece)
- ARTCRAFT is etched just below the cup-like opening (sorry, I'm a bassoonist, not a brass player)
- 7-C is etched the same way, just on the other side (the mouthpiece size?)
- below the 7-C it says "made in Western-Germany" (is this good or very bad?)
Pictures to follow when I get to a computer. I'm sorry to be so vague. It does have heavy tarnish, but parts are rather shiny for being supposedly so old. Is it normal for silver to stay in good shape? Did they even use silver on their bugles during this time?
Anyway, Thanks!

Sorry to burst your bubble but if it is marked Western Germany, then it is post WW2 when the country was divided into East and West Germany. Also I doubt that ARTCRAFT was a Civil War era company.

I suspected as much (about the West Germany) when I got around to taking a good look at it, but didn't want to give up the ghost until somebody more informed on the subject pointed it out. You never know what weird things turn up! It's nice to have a definitive opinion.
Thanks for the help!

Civil War relics may very well the most counterfited items out there. Certainly the most lied about. And these people are good at it. If you dig it yourself then it may be authenic. I always remember when I dig a CW relic the last person to touch it was a soldier. Keep hunting and good luck. HH :minelab:

Hmmm. Interesting story and I defintiely agree with Hershey 1. A good bit of stuff out there is fake and the BUYER must BEWARE. Good luck on your future metal detecting adventures and we look forward to some pics of your digs.

Here's a post / picture of a brass one as I dug this one myself : http://www.findmall.com/read.php?82,1729353

cch

Thanks for all the replies! It's too bad it turned out to be from totally the wrong era, but at 5 bucks it was a worthwhile learning experience (and still a rather cool item, at that).
To cch: that really is a beauty! Actually, that's the thread that led me to this forum. It came up in a quick search for civil war artifacts, when I was trying to figure out if civil war mouthpieces were even typically silver (I didn't get to see the W. Germany part until after purchase).
There is a lot of talk about digging up artifacts- how does one do that? Do you own land up near Gettysburg? What a cool thing that would be to do!